2600k won't go above 4ghz on prime95?

Well I just switched over to an asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3 board and I have everything setup for a good oc which is 45x multi, however when I run prime i see it only go up to 4ghz where as other applications it goes up to 4.5ghz. Am I missing something? :pfff: Probably something I missed in the bios, then again it is pretty hard to oc with the asrock bios....

Solution

I use 1.3 to get 4.5ghz stable, my chip is on the hungry side of i5's. The i7 uses a bit more power than the i5 so maybe you need a bit more voltage? :) oh and the llc on these boards are a little weird so you'll need to do a lot of playing to get the best results. You may get 1.27 bootable or stable with llc level 1.

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Did you adjust the TurboBoost power draw (not sure what the setting is accually called im kinda going from memory of setting up a friends overclock). It will be a setting measured in Watts. If its set too low the chip will adjust its clock speed to stay under this limit.

I see, so on asrock boards it is based on this?

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
It's as Pmentior says, you must enable turbo, change the power limit under turbo (i set mine to 300 not that it will ever need to put 300 through), and then you can disable turbo and be on your way with overclocking, messed up BIOS but otherwise a nice board :)
If you need help with the ASRock z68 i have the extreme 3 so I can help if you run into any weird bios issues.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I use 1.3 to get 4.5ghz stable, my chip is on the hungry side of i5's. The i7 uses a bit more power than the i5 so maybe you need a bit more voltage? :) oh and the llc on these boards are a little weird so you'll need to do a lot of playing to get the best results. You may get 1.27 bootable or stable with llc level 1.

Solution

1.30 is not actually bad at all. Most 2500Ks need 1.325-1.35v for a stable 4.5GHz OC. I also am running 4.5GHz and using 1.30v but I am using Offset mode so it lowers when idle.

Normally the best for offset is auto with a - 0.05v and that normally puts it at 1.3v for load and .968v for load.

TRENDING THREADS