Stock CPU cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchadwick

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I purchased an i5-2500k and Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 motherboard to upgrade my current computer with. Unfortunately, I didn't think to check whether my Sunbeamtech Core-Contact Freezer would fit (it apparently doesn't :fou:), so I'm pretty much stuck using the stock Intel cooler if I want to get my computer built before this weekend.

Obviously I'll need to upgrade the cooler once I decide to overclock (I'm nervous, so was going to use as is for the time being), but is this CPU cooler sufficient for everyday use for the time being? I do not intend to overclock at this point, although I'd hoped to activate the TurboBoost features. Or should I hold off on the build for the 3-day delivery of something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo so that I don't have to remove the Intel fan (plus grease) to install the new one?

Solution
Aftermarket cooler are a great investment even if you dont do much Ocing if you dont upgrade very often for 2 reasons:

1. Msot coolers will optimize airflow in the case (they will direct air to the back of the case)

2. Even if you dont OC or OC much, an aftermarket cooler will reduce your CPUs temps, which in turn will increase its rated life, heat degrades electronic components at an increased rate.

bbqroast

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Intel aren't the type of company to ship a CPU with a cooler that can't handle the default settings.
N.B. If you have the Turbo Boost I have it does everything dynamically e.g. If the CPU is hot it lowers the clock and if it is under load and cool it will increase the clock :).

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Aftermarket cooler are a great investment even if you dont do much Ocing if you dont upgrade very often for 2 reasons:

1. Msot coolers will optimize airflow in the case (they will direct air to the back of the case)

2. Even if you dont OC or OC much, an aftermarket cooler will reduce your CPUs temps, which in turn will increase its rated life, heat degrades electronic components at an increased rate.

Solution

cchadwick

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Thanks for the replies!

I hopped onto Newegg and ordered myself a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. It's a behemoth and I'll have to move the fan into a "puller" position to fit in 4 DIMMs of RAM, but it's hard to argue with the <$20 price tag (assuming the rebate actually arrives, of course). Hopefully it'll arrive before the weekend so that I can get the system built while my wife's still out of town!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

what kind of ram do you have. the cooler might not fit if you have taller ram. also the 212+ is a realatively small cooler actually. its gives moderate cooling ability at a good price which is why its so highly recommended. not because its a great cooler but because its a good cooler for a great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.