PCI-E

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
  • PCI Express
Last response: in Motherboards
December 27, 2012 12:47:01 PM

Hello,
I have quite big problem. I am not so in to computers so maybe my question will sound funny. Anyway I have motherboard ASUS P7H55 and graphic card Ati radeon R6970 lightning. when I test it in program GPU -Z It shows that PCI-E x16 2.0@x1 2.0 . It is quite bad when I am playing games. I have tried to update my BIOS but I have newest version. I have it in right slot (there is only one). I tried tu put it out and in about 2 times. Dont know what to do. Do you have any advice please? Or should I buy new motherboard ? Thanks for your answers.

More about : pci

a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 1:08:31 PM

Its normal for GPU Z to show the pci-e slot running as 1.0 and at 1x when the computer is idle. It does this to save energy.

Open a game then alt +tab to the desktop and check gpu-z. I bet you will see it goes up to 2.0x16. Or run a game in a window with gpu z open. You will see the moment the game starts that the pci-e speed ramps up.

Normally bad game performance is an issue with the drivers. I would first go to the intel site and update any of the mother board drivers using the intel automatic update tool. I would then go to the AMD site and get the newest radeon driver.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 1:08:48 PM

do you have other pcie cards? like sound cards?

if so, try to remove them. the slot is the darker blue one right?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 1:14:42 PM

Could be any of several things, bad motherboard, bad graphics card, bad PSU. Can you test these with someone else's rig? Also give us your specs.
December 27, 2012 1:16:28 PM

bucknutty said:
Its normal for GPU Z to show the pci-e slot running as 1.0 and at 1x when the computer is idle. It does this to save energy.

Open a game then alt +tab to the desktop and check gpu-z. I bet you will see it goes up to 2.0x16. Or run a game in a window with gpu z open. You will see the moment the game starts that the pci-e speed ramps up.

Normally bad game performance is an issue with the drivers. I would first go to the intel site and update any of the mother board drivers using the intel automatic update tool. I would then go to the AMD site and get the newest radeon driver.

So I tried that with game, but it shows that same thing. Ill try to update everything. thx.
December 27, 2012 1:16:46 PM

Cons29 said:
do you have other pcie cards? like sound cards?

if so, try to remove them. the slot is the darker blue one right?

No I dont have. I have only one pc with no other components.
December 27, 2012 1:17:17 PM

First of all the bad performance could be related to your setup. What CPU do you have?
What games do you play...at what resolution and detail?
December 27, 2012 1:18:25 PM

zdbc13 said:
Could be any of several things, bad motherboard, bad graphics card, bad PSU. Can you test these with someone else's rig? Also give us your specs.

I can try that but it will take about 2 days to organize that. Ill try that if nothing will help.
December 27, 2012 1:21:37 PM

maxinexus said:
First of all the bad performance could be related to your setup. What CPU do you have?
What games do you play...at what resolution and detail?

I have i3 - 550 , 3,20 GHz.

I play Far Cry 3 on highest config. and 1920 -1080 res. Only game that is going wrong is GUILD WARS 2 and CRYSIS 2.
December 27, 2012 2:28:03 PM

bucknutty said:

So I have reinstaled AMD drivers, but it is stil at PCI-E x1 2.0.
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2012 5:24:48 PM

my thought is an issue with the card or the board. Is Your CPU, ram overclocked at all? For testing run all parts at default speeds.

Try another card in your board. See what the speed is.

Then try your card in another computer see what the pci-e speed displays as. I did a quick search for 6970 pci-e 1x. There are a bunch of random posts where people think its the over clock.
December 27, 2012 6:58:41 PM

Run the 3D mark2011 test see how you score. If poorly than there is something wrong.

I think you are pushing your card too hard on GW2 and C2...lower your details. The chance is there is nothing wrong with your PC
!