New i5-2500K Build question

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hi everyone i just got my i5-2500k build done a few hours ago and been playing with it so far, but i just want to ask something.

When i was gonna install the CPU i noticed a single broken pin on the socket, it was flat instead of inclined, i proceeded to install the CPU and heat sink, ram and everything else, didn't post, didn't get a beep, just powered for 5 seconds and powered off making a loop.

So i removed the heat-sink and CPU and just proceeded to undo the flat pin with a magnifier glass, until it looked like nothing happened, i placed the CPU and heat-sink again, it posted like nothing happened, installed everything into my case and its been working fine ever since, like nothing happened, but will this affect the CPU or anything? perhaps when i try to overclock?

My build is this:

Intel Core i5-2500k (Stock 3.30 GHz)
MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3)
Asus GTX 560 Ti
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
Seagate 1Tb 7200RPM 32Mb cache
Crucial M4 64GB SSD
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850M
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Heatsink

Thanks!

iGGY-101

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
It is good that it is working, but you shouldnt touch the CPU pins, that can stuff it up. But since it is working like "NOTHING HAPPENED" then you may be lucky. In future, check your hardware and return it if it is broken. I do not think it will affect your CPU if it is working, but there is always a chance that it may be damaged and may not work to its full.

iGGY-101

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Oh, well if you didnt touch it with your fingers which is conductive, then yeah I am now 90% sure it is fine. The CPU would not work I dont think if one of the pins were broken, just like when you first tried to boot it up with one of the pins bent, it didnt work then. I think it is fine now.