Removing Nvidia Chipset Drivers

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hello All,

I am swapping out my old mobo (ASUS M4N78 PRO) for a Gigabyte 990fx-UD5 and have to remove the nvidia chipset drivers before I can swap the mobos. The problem is that the M4N78 PRO has crashed and is no longer usable. Now normally switching to an updated AMD chipset driver would post no problems, except that the old mobo runs on nvidia chipset drivers, so when I plug in the new mobo, windows 7 will crash. I am very familiar with unix live cd's and plan on using parted magic to remove the chipset so there won't be any conflict, problem is, I don't know where they are stored and I can't find a driver sweeping program that runs on Linux. See my problem???

Thanks for reading my long winded post and I am looking forward to your help.

G

boot off of the DVD.

edit: don't worry about custom - during the installation W7 will tell you another OS has been detected and ask if you want to "overwrite". then it will inform you of the windows.old folder.

G

the users files, docs, music, and appdata is what it will save.

what were you looking at keeping?

but if you do get into safemode; you can run driver fusion (was driver sweeper) to get rid of the chipset drivers.

G

i'd try that first, if you're successful no need to reinstall. and i would consider getting a hard drive to copy/back up data you wish to keep for in the future. i pretty much do a reformat and clean install every 6-8 months myself.