Realtek hd distortion for certain frequencies win 7

vijn

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hi,

I have a Gigabyte Z68 Mobo, with onboard sound card. Running win 7 64 ultimate. Ever since setting up the computer I've noticed that the sound distorts at certain frequencies. For some tracks it's perfectly clear (electronic music), for others that have a lot of higher frequency noise, there's a lot of distortion (example rock). It's quite annoying. I've tried installing different drivers, rolling back, uninstalling, etc but to no avail. I've researched it online and it seems it's a relatively common problem with Realtek HD and win 7. I have no idea what to do anymore. I'm using the TOSlink port to connect to my sound system, but all the ports essentially have this distortion, some slightly more than other or at different frequencies.

Mobo: Z68A-D3H-B3
Audio driver: Realtek HD Audio 6.0.1.6482
CPU: i5-2400

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vijn

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Nah, it's not an equalizer setting. I've played with it, turned it on, off, I'm pretty sure it's either a software/driver issue or a hardware/shielding issue. Just don't know what other driver options I have that I could use in place of the one I'm using. And not sure how to shield the chip or wires, as it's an onboard card.

vijn

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
It's not program specific. Both WMP and winamp do the same thing. I don't hear it playing youtube, but then again the quality is never as high. My speakers are quite good good, connected to a yamaha receiver. The receiver is also quite good, and it plays fine when playing files from my WD TV Live player or my component CD player.