CPU used to idle @ 27c. Now its 37c.

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
My CPU has been idling at 27c (AMD PHENOM x4 955) for a good month and a half. Now all of a sudden its idling at 37c

Why is this much help would be appreciated I. Stock fan and stock speeds.

Haf 922 so good air flow.
I also was considering applying MX4 Paste to cool it more

thanks

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
You have probably done this already, but double check to make sure that the pins on the stock cooler are 'snapped' in tightly. The require some effort to get in.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
make sure the heatsink isn't full of dust, the more it fills up, the warmer it will get.

just put a vacuum hose over the heatsink fan with the machine unplugged.

I usually have to clean my video card every 2 months.

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010

Yeah I have done this thanks though for the info

cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I would check the heat paste between your heat sink and processor. If its dry that could be it. Also check your V-Core voltage is ok.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
10 degrees is quite a bit of a difference.
You should check your cpu cooler and case fans for dust.
Check your fans are creating a proper airflow inside your case (ie if you have front and back fans installed, be sure one is intake and one exhaust)
Another thing you could do is tidy up loose cables hanging inside the case so that the fans can do their job without any interferance.
If you have any heat source near the case like an heating air vent or radiator, try to get some distance from it.
If you have all these bases covered and the heat is still too high, check if you have installed anything "heavy" running in the background that may raise your idle levels.
To be on the safe side I would also turn on mobo's thermal monitoring if its not running already.

user_account_

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
@ Vollman1 yes mate I had already checked this. Thanks though for reply

@noob222 I usually clean it out every 2-3 months. Thanks though for reply

@diellur I had recently built my system and completely made sure everything was correct. I had these temps for a while and have not added anything since. Thanks for the reply though

@cool-n0quite I think that is my only option I had purchased some Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic MX-4 a couple of weeks ago and suppose I might as well apply one of them. I hear Arctic MX-4 is better for a few reasons. Thanks mate

@Ngrego Yeah it is a bit of a difference but I do not have a modular PSU yet. It has many leads/wires but most are out of the way for fans and also to note the case (HAF922) had the fans already installed and set up correctly. I checked these also before hand to be 100 percent sure. Thankis for in depth info and reply

@Rockdpm thanks +1

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012

I agree, if all the the above are ok you should probably look into getting a new cpu cooler.
But I really dont think that 37c is too high, mobo thermal monitoring usually kicks in at ~70c.

cool-n-quiet

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I Agree, you shouldn't really be worrying yet. My main machine has a Athlon 5600+ running at 2.8Ghz with an Antec cooler on it - the highest it gets is around 47°C and at idle its at about 37°C and its lasted 7 years so far.... roll on the big 1-0!