Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel? AMD? Which Mother Board is better or...?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • AMD
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2011 5:36:16 AM

I will be building, with assistance, a new $2,000 (about) computer next month. That amount is strictly for components of the computer, not peripherals. I will also be going with i5-2600k or i7-2600k, not sure yet. Also AMD Radeon Graphic cards, most likely 6950/70 or if the new Radeon 7000's come out, I'll go with them. I will have two in Crossfire and want PCI Express 2.0 x 16. For some reason I like AMD. The computer will be for basic 'work', and gaming - BF3 and MW3, and whatever may come out next year in FPS games. I also will want a new monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Just some basic facts and not really relating to the questions below. ;) 

After reading a ton of stuff, my questions are:

1. Is there any difference between Intel P/Z68 mother boards or AMD 990FX boards other than two different companies when priced comparably?

2. Are one company's boards better built then the other or is it just personal preference?

3. Is the new Intel X79 boards for just the the Sandy Bridge 'E' chip?

4. Are the Intel X79 boards comparable with the AMD 990FX boards?

Hope I said the names of everything correctly, it can be a little daunting at times. :pt1cable: 

Thank you very much in advance for any and all comments, information and lectures. ;) 

:bounce: 

PS... I put this in the Mother Boards forum too. Hope that is okay. :??: 

More about : intel amd mother board

November 20, 2011 5:41:08 AM

1.) Yes, there are very big differences with those. AMD 990FX boards are for AMD CPUS while the P67 and z68 motherboards are for the 2nd generation i3, i5 and i7.

iFor gaiming, what you need is i5-2500k and a z68 motherboard.

2.) -------- You do know that Intel and AMD don't really manufacture all the motherboards while Intel manufactures some and AMD doesn't.

3.) NO.

4.) NO. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
m
l
a b À AMD
November 20, 2011 6:03:17 AM

This is solid advice, but my take is you should take components like motherboards on their own merits. One could say a Z68 mobo is better than a 990FX, but it would depend on which models you are comparing.
First decide Intel or AMD-right now Intel has the performance edge for gaming and other tasks as well. Considering your budget, there's no reason tto not go with Intel.

Then I would fill out the sticky under "New Builds" in the forums. That will get you the best advice for your build.
m
l
Related resources
November 20, 2011 7:29:53 AM

+1 to Cutebeans

Hands down Intel has it the best for gaming and the Z68 motherboard is the way to go. What makes the Z68 so special is the fact that it is a combination of two different motherboards (the P67 & H67).
m
l
November 20, 2011 8:35:35 AM

@ emelth do you own Facebook lol.

the 8120 vs i5 is fair but the bulldozers only do well on the latest software and at 1080p .the b3 revision is coming out so I wouldn't get a bulldozer now. ive noticed this from looking at most of the benchmarks . the 8150 is over priced .
m
l
November 20, 2011 9:04:48 AM

yeah I do, why whats up?
m
l
November 20, 2011 9:32:04 AM

MeThinks NoviceNob needs to decide WTF he really wants. Speed or money.
m
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
November 20, 2011 9:33:21 AM

NoviceNob said:
I will be building, with assistance, a new $2,000 (about) computer next month. That amount is strictly for components of the computer, not peripherals. I will also be going with i5-2600k or i7-2600k, not sure yet. Also AMD Radeon Graphic cards, most likely 6950/70 or if the new Radeon 7000's come out, I'll go with them. I will have two in Crossfire and want PCI Express 2.0 x 16. For some reason I like AMD. The computer will be for basic 'work', and gaming - BF3 and MW3, and whatever may come out next year in FPS games. I also will want a new monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200. Just some basic facts and not really relating to the questions below. ;) 

After reading a ton of stuff, my questions are:

1. Is there any difference between Intel P/Z68 mother boards or AMD 990FX boards other than two different companies when priced comparably?

2. Are one company's boards better built then the other or is it just personal preference?

3. Is the new Intel X79 boards for just the the Sandy Bridge 'E' chip?

4. Are the Intel X79 boards comparable with the AMD 990FX boards?

Hope I said the names of everything correctly, it can be a little daunting at times. :pt1cable: 

Thank you very much in advance for any and all comments, information and lectures. ;) 

PS... I put this in the Mother Boards forum too. Hope that is okay. :??: 

1. differences: 990 fx is newer. 990 fx supports previous gen phii cpus and new fx cpus using am3+ platform. you'll need a bios upgrade to use the new fx cpus. 990fx natively supports 42 pcie gen 2.0 lanes through the chipset. with 990fx you get cpu overclockability, more sata iii ports etc.
z68 is for sandy bridge desktop cpus. sb supports 16 pcie gen 2 lanes from cpu and 8 more from the pch. you'd need additional support from mobo builder for more pcie 2 lanes. z68 supports sb's quick sync, ssd caching, rst, both cpu and igp oc. z68 will also support new ivy bridge cpus. some z68 mobos have pcie 3 support but afaik you'd need an ivb cpu for pcie 3.0 to work.

2. most mobo manufacturers have similarly featured mobos using both z68 and 990fx chipset. their prices will vary. performance is individual to each board. though a lot of people will support the brand they are satisfied with.
i'd rank asus higher for performance, gigabyte for stability and performance, asrock for features, msi and biostar for price, evga for enthusiast, intel for no-frills stability. this is a personal opinion not supported by facts. :) 

3. yes.

4. yes, in some ways. both chipsets are aimed at enthusiasts. both let users access to a lot of pcie lanes. both support cpus that are very overclockable. both support x16+x16 or x16+x8+x8 cfx and sli modes (motherboard model dependent).
differences: x79 boards are usually costlier. sb-e cpus are much pricier than amd's fx. x79 supports up to 8 dimm slots. 990fx offers more sata iii ports.x79 natively supports pcie 3 (still untested). x79 supports quad channel memory. i read somewhere that 990 fx and fx cpu support ecc memory but i can't verify that atm. x79 enables pcie lanes from cpu. 990fx enables pcie 2 lanes from chipset. x79 isn't compatible with mainstream desktop core cpus, they're only compatible with enthusiast cpus with lga 2011 (2011 pins). 990fx supports am3 cpus, may be athlons too, new fx cpus.
(fx means amd's desktop cpus based on bulldozer architecture. they're codenamed zambezi.)
November 20, 2011 9:43:10 AM

Nice retort, de5.
Really, about the only way to reduce price is choice of AMD or Intel platforms and that becomes less every iteration of CPU's.
m
l
November 22, 2011 7:23:52 PM

Best answer selected by NoviceNob.
m
l
November 22, 2011 7:45:47 PM

Thank you very much to everyone who offered constructive comments and advice. I gave best answer to de5_roy, but if there was a second place, cutebeans, you would be there. :) 

I have decided to go with Intel for a motherboard, Z68 or X79, I haven't decided yet. Money isn't a problem; not married, no ex, no kids, no mortgage, just pricey beer and wine, and I'm in my 50's. :lol:  But I won't just blow money out for the hell of it. I'm not looking for any "I've got the best" bull. But I am looking for comparability with AMD Radeon 7000 graphic cards soon to come out, but most likely will not upgrade to Ivy Bridge as to many reviews say it won't be worth it if you have SB already. Also I am looking for PCI 2.0 x 16 and a bonus would be PCI Express 3.0 x 16... (2 lanes), I think that is what it is. :(  I feel that would be worth the upgrade or money spent.

Also I will most likely go with Gig or Asus but possibly Asrock as many of their reviews are very good and as de5 stated, they have a lot of features. I can spend about $300 - $350 on a mother board, I figure.

Thank you very much again for your time. Happy holidays all.

m
l
!