Sign in with
Your question

Why won't this AMD driver work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2011 8:06:31 PM

I just about a Sapphire Radeon HD5670 for the computer I bought in 2007 with An ABIT NF-M2S motherboard (http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/abit-nf-m2s-mother...). It fits, the fan runs.. I installed all the drivers, but I keep getting a message that tells me the "AMD driver is not installed or no functioning properly" something along those lines.

Is there something wrong with the computer, graphics card or just the actually driver? Tried installing from the disc and downloading it directly from the AMD website.

More about : amd driver work

a c 104 U Graphics card
September 23, 2011 8:25:38 PM

Did you clean the old drivers ?
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:42:52 PM

nativecain said:
I just about a Sapphire Radeon HD5670 for the computer I bought in 2007 with An ABIT NF-M2S motherboard (http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/abit-nf-m2s-mother...). It fits, the fan runs.. I installed all the drivers, but I keep getting a message that tells me the "AMD driver is not installed or no functioning properly" something along those lines.

Is there something wrong with the computer, graphics card or just the actually driver? Tried installing from the disc and downloading it directly from the AMD website.

Sometimes old drivers can conflict with new ones, try removing your old driver and see if that works. Also, if you have access to another PC, you could try and test the card in it just to be sure it's not the card itself. :) 
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2011 8:43:35 PM

There were no AMD drivers when I first installed. (There are Nvidia drivers installed for the onboard graphics, though) Did a system restore and then tried again with the direct download from the website. No go.
m
l
September 23, 2011 8:45:30 PM

LastVampyer said:
Sometimes old drivers can conflict with new ones, try removing your old driver and see if that works. Also, if you have access to another PC, you could try and test the card in it just to be sure it's not the card itself. :) 

I'll try that now.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 23, 2011 8:59:40 PM

go into the BIOS and look for the graphics options..... disable the on board and make it point to "peg" or make it say "auto". save and reboot......... usually F10 and then hit enter. May be different with your board. Directions are at bottom of screen in most BIOS'.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2011 9:10:00 PM

...and remove ANY old drivers Nvidia or others.
m
l
September 23, 2011 9:50:42 PM

Well It works perfectly with my other computer that came and AMD on board graphics card, and the drivers are up to date. So it's not the card.
(On the first start up.. I got the same error message about the same driver issue.. I restarted when prompted, and no problem. Also started with the card right away and not the onboard. So I had picture even with that error.. It was ugly tho. I had no picture with the older computer)

In the BIOS the onboard it is set tpo "Enable when no Ext GPU" the only other option is "Always Enable" I found that in Advance chipset.

I just removed all nvidia and AMD drivers.. Restarted to make sure they were gone. The only driver left is the original Nvidia driver for the onboard graphics card that came witht the computer. Should I remove that to before putting the graphics card back in?

I would also like to note, when the card in in my older computer.. It's take a while to boot up and show anything. My newer computer(The one I;m testing it on and works perfectly) that does not happen.
m
l
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
September 25, 2011 1:50:50 PM

did you try windows update ? and do you have another video card you can try in both computers ?
m
l
September 25, 2011 2:12:46 PM

Fully updated and no, I don't.
m
l
!