Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hello Community

My current system spec

Mobo: AsRock P67 Pro3
CPU: Intel 2500k (Not Overclocked)
Memory: 4 Sticks of 4 GB total of 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 550 TI
HDD: 3 7200 RPM 1 TB SeaGate Drives (Not Green) Running Raid 5 (Onboard)
SSD: 1 Corsair 120GB
ODD: Standard DVD/R Drive
Case Fans: 7 120 MM Fans Standard No LED:
Water Cooling System: I got that lower end Corsair Self Contained System
PSU: Corsair GS 700 (12 V Raid 56A)
Tower: Full HAF 913 I believe.

I am tryin to figure out why my computer is just randomly shutting off. I've run Prime95 with the all round test which included memory and I had 2 - 3 cores fail on me every time between tests 1 - 3. Without rebooting I re-ran it without using any memory and got to test 15 without any issues. Suspecting memory I ran Memtest86 and it found no errors with the memory.

I then went into the bios and adjusted the LLC to level 5 (AsRock doesn't have auto or anything like that you gotta select from level 1 to level 5), and it would power off just before I got to the login screen. The only way I could achieve any type of stability was setting LLC to level 1.

I think I read somewhere if LLC is at level 1 it doesn't speak highly for your PSU. But even with LLC at level 1 when I run Prime95 with memory I still get multi-core failures within the first couple of tests.

I am so confused at what the issue could be, Is it the CPU, is it the Memory either though its showing no errors in Memtest86, is it the PSU which I've replaced 3 in the last 2 years and others have told me 700 Watt is more then enough to power my system. Is it something else I am totally forgetting or missing.

I am not upset with the fact my computer is not fully operational, I am upset with myself that I cannot pin down this problem.

Update of what I've done so far.

I have been running Prime95 with 1 RAM stick at a time at a time performing the last torture test that uses a lot of memory and I've had no issues or instability with that. But when all 4 RAM sticks are in I have major instability.

I've run Memtest86 with all 4 memory sticks in and got zero errors, I've tested them one by one and also got zero errors.

For some reason when all 4 memory sticks are present and I run Prime95 with the Torture test that uses a lot of memory CPU cores start to fail after only the 2nd test.

No matter the memory configuration whenever I run the Torture test that doesn't use the RAM and only the CPU I have no issues.

So is it safe to assume the CPU is not at fault here ?

mcatanio

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Here is another update of what I've done that has signifigantly increased stability.

I manually entered the specifications of the memory in the bios, I no longer let the bios figure it out manually. I could then reduce the LLC down to level 5 and the computer was able to run the full torture test with Prime95 with no issues at all. So now I know its not the Memory, or the CPU. But I had a random shutdown after about 18 hours of straight run time.

I now went into the bios and manually set the specifications of the CPU manually and changed LLC to level 2. I am now testing how long the PC will stay on with this configuration.

I'm suspecting it's the voltage controls on the Mobo that are at fault possibly the capacitors if thats the same thing, because the slightest big of overclocking of the processor from the Mobo causes major instability and random shut offs and blue screens.

What does everyone else think?

mcatanio

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Update of recent discover, machine suddenly shut down after only a few hours. I then went into the BIOS to see what may have caused it, and the computer suddenly shut off after only 5 min of being on and in the bios.

I then rebooted went back into the bios and after only 1 min it suddenly lost power while booting.

I can only deduce from this that the issue is infact with the Mobo or the PSU, but I can't believe i'd had such bad luck with PSU's that i've had to replace 3 in just under 2 years.

I use to only put cheap generic PSU's in my builds and they never gave me problems like this. That's why I feel it could also be the Mobo.

What is everyone elses take on this?

mcatanio

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I actually resolved the issue and found out the problem.

My UPS used an artifical sine wave, and it is not compatible with PSU that feature High Efficency Active PFC, it will actully flat out not work with them or like in my case damage them severly the more then end up running on the battery from a power outage.

And since i live in Florida with heavy storms and my computer runs on the battery quite often this is why it's been damaging my PSU's.

So my options now are either get a PSU that uses a Pure Sine Wave, or just plug it into the wall.