Never installed a new motherboard before, help?

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
How's it going?

I plan to get rid of my ASUS m2n68-LA motherboard as I cannot put a processor in it any better than my pathetic AMD athlon 64 6000+ X2. I want to confirm that with 32 bit windows 7, a new mobo means reinstalling the OS? but does not necessarily mean destruction of personal data?

Ultimately, I want to upgrade to 64 bit, put that on an entirely new hard drive and just leave this current one as a sort of *** storage/work drive that I can boot to when I have work to so I dont end up firing up any games, while the other new HDD will obviously be the one with all my recreational nonsense.

I guess I need to know if, after both a new OS on a new hard drive AND a new motherboard are all installed, will this current hard drive drive even be accessible? If not, how would you all recommend backup? I would like to effectively copy and paste this hard drive to a new one and then pick and choose what I actually need to have on that new one(I have some programs I can no longer reinstall or don't feel like re-downloading, etc).

Sorry if I'm unclear on anything, I've never done this level of overhaul before.

Hi,
Depending on the new chipset, the new system might or might not boot from the old HDD. Sometimes an Windows repair and setting SATA to IDE in BIOS would help.
Since upgrading, I would install a 128GB or greater SSD (if the budget allows it), keeping the old HDD for data.
The old HDD will be accessible, but the applications will have to be reinstalled.

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks for the information! if it helps get a more solid answer, I plan to upgrade to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106010

and you mean getting that SSD to put 64 bit on? I apologize if I offend when I say you're somewhat unclear. I'll still be able to get at the current drive with 64 bit booted even though it only has 32 bit?

I planned to get like a nice 1TB HDD and just keep all the *** I frequently use on that, including the 64 bit OS.

If you'll install Windows 64 on a new drive (HDD os SSD), you'll still be able to access data like movies, music, photos on the old HDD, but you'll not be able to open the applications (games, programs) installed on it.
In order to do that, you'll have to boot from the old HDD and it might not work (different SATA controller, different drivers). By the way, is the old HDD SATA or IDE?
Now, there are some methods, like this one: http://scottiestech.info/2010/03/17/upgrade-your-motherboard-without-reinstalling-your-os/
or a Windows repair from the Windows DVD that might help in booting from the old HDD, but I'm not 100% sure it will work.

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

I had a look at that, which I thank you for, and I have the standard dual IDE controller, so 99% of the time I'm all set. Is there anything further we can look at to get a more solid answer?

I mean, absolute worst case scenario, I repopulate an old case I have with everything I'm tearing out of this rig and my data just sits on another PC, but if we could have everything accessible that's obviously most convenient.

Now on a side note if I do decide to format, I understand that for something like a game, I COULD NOT just copy-paste the folder from C:/program files? I lost the compressed .ISO file of said game, Could I simply compress it to a zip file and extract onto new HDD?

Thanks for all the help thus far.

So the new board does have an IDE controller?
And yes, you can't just copy the c:/program files. You'll have to reinstall the games. You can though copy the folder with the saved data (every game has a different folder/location), so that you don't restart the game.

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Understood, thanks. Also, sorry! I linked a processor. THIS is the mobo I want http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

Now why would I need an IDE controller on a SATA drive?

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

That's what shows up in device manager if I do what that link says, but I know it's a SATA cable going to my mobo and hard drive.

How do I figure out whether it's SATA or IDE?

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
STOP GIVING BAD ADVICE

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REBUILD THE OS WHEN YOU CHANGE A MOTHERBOARD

Go to device manager
Expand all tabs
UPDATE NOT REMOVE, all drivers that are for HDD Controllers, ATA Controllers, RAID Controllers, USB Devices, Northbridge, Southbridge. BASICALLY Anything that is not standard. Update all these drivers to a generic driver.

Take HDD out, slap in new PC,

Install drivers from m/b CD (you will need this as you wont have the NIC driver installed).

And what was the bad advice in your opinion?
What you said above is in the link http://scottiestech.info/2010/03/17/upgrade-your-motherboard-without-reinstalling-your-os/
(Read again post no 2)
And why this tone? Are you a moderator or something, or you can't express your opinions because of me?
Why this need to comment on others posts?

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
SO:

"Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" I have in device manager, as per your link Alex. I am fine 99% of the time according to said link. Barring any actual hardware malfunctions, what can be done to bring that to 100%? if not I will nominate that link as my best answer and we'll all be on our way.

Thank you gentlemen.

TRENDING THREADS