How Far Down Will Sandy Bridge Prices Go?

JustinDee

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Well, since we all know that the new Ivy Bridge processors are coming out in a month or two, for those on a budget (like me) how far down will the Sandy Bridge Processors like the i5 2400, i5 2500k, etc. go in terms of prices? Does anyone have an idea or source of information?

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

Ain't that the truth lol

Same for video cards....

Its a racket. :fou:

loneninja

Distinguished
Since Ivy Bridge works on the same socket as Sandy Bridge prices will probably drop a little but I doubt it'll drop much. I would expect retail channels to actually dry up before any major price drops occur because Intel will stop shipping the processors to retailers, probably dump the last of their Sandy Bridge for cheap to OEMs to get rid of them.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Don't expect the prices on previous gen Intel processors to drop much if at all. If you are lucky the price will go down about $10. My i5-760 only dropped about $10 in price over the past two or so years.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I guess what I don't get is how can there still be a demand for processors that are almost 2 gens back in time, at least enough to cause the price to hold at that level. Are there a lot of folks with 1156 boards that are in some weird upgrade scenario, that got the lowliest Nehalem chip sometime in 2009-2010, and consider a chip like the i5-670 a worthy "upgrade"? I suppose there is always plenty of OEM ready-made boxes that may have a chip like that, and marketed as a "Hyper Performance Special" or something.

Why would we lower our prices? We produce our products up until a point generally after a new product has been released and than we no longer sale them. We let the distributors know that we are going to end that processor months in advance. They have the ability to return any leftover stock to us and in the end we have no control over the pricing of leftovers on the market. If someone buys a processor at $100 from a distributor they don't want to sell it for anything less.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Seems a moot point to answer after the Intel guy, but...

It seems to me that Intel has left themselves a nice open spot in the market in regards to pricing with the rather wide rift between Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge E equipment. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the top of the line Ivy Bridge stuff slot in between the two current products and the lower performance stuff get priced at a 10-20% markup on comparable 1155 stuff. Just a guess though.

I see, so you guys decide base price and the rest is up to the sellers. So I guess we shouldn't be complaining at all about companies themselves, we should be complaining about the resellers.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble, but IVB pricing leaked months ago. They are almost exactly the same prices as Sandy Bridge.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Not so much a conspiracy as an observation followed by an educated guess. The conspiracy forums are located at the following link for future reference...

http://lunaticoutpost.com/