Sign in with
Your question

How Far Down Will Sandy Bridge Prices Go?

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:48:19 AM

Well, since we all know that the new Ivy Bridge processors are coming out in a month or two, for those on a budget (like me) how far down will the Sandy Bridge Processors like the i5 2400, i5 2500k, etc. go in terms of prices? Does anyone have an idea or source of information?

More about : sandy bridge prices

a c 186 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:49:22 AM

None. zero. Look at the previous gen processors, same price.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:51:00 AM

thanks to all those new sockets, intel prices rarely go down much in price. don't expect a slash in prices.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:51:01 AM

Probably not too much, if I remember right first gen core CPUs didn't drop much.

Often this is due to them stopping production of the older generations.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:52:01 AM

And then because of demand of something they dont' make anymore price goes up!!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:52:34 AM

Well...

Micro Center sells the i5 2500k for like $179 and the i7 2600k for $279.

I wouldn't expect wide scale prices to go down past that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:59:32 AM

Raidur said:
Probably not too much, if I remember right first gen core CPUs didn't drop much.

Often this is due to them stopping production of the older generations.

amuffin said:
And then because of demand of something they dont' make anymore price goes up!!!

Ain't that the truth lol

Same for video cards....

Its a racket. :fou: 
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 2:04:49 AM

Since Ivy Bridge works on the same socket as Sandy Bridge prices will probably drop a little but I doubt it'll drop much. I would expect retail channels to actually dry up before any major price drops occur because Intel will stop shipping the processors to retailers, probably dump the last of their Sandy Bridge for cheap to OEMs to get rid of them.
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 2:37:51 AM

I would say a price drop of around $5. In the extreme best case scenario $10.

Excluding any sales, coupons, rebates or extremely low prices to draw people into the store (i.e. Micro Center).
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 2:47:06 AM

Don't expect the prices on previous gen Intel processors to drop much if at all. If you are lucky the price will go down about $10. My i5-760 only dropped about $10 in price over the past two or so years.
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 2:53:12 AM

ebalong said:
Like this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-...

Why is that Nehalem dual core still being sold for as much as the 2600K? Because it "overclocks really good"?

Because of relatively low stock (not produced anymore). There have been times when the price actually goes up when the remaining stock is extremely low.
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:58:16 AM

I guess what I don't get is how can there still be a demand for processors that are almost 2 gens back in time, at least enough to cause the price to hold at that level. Are there a lot of folks with 1156 boards that are in some weird upgrade scenario, that got the lowliest Nehalem chip sometime in 2009-2010, and consider a chip like the i5-670 a worthy "upgrade"? I suppose there is always plenty of OEM ready-made boxes that may have a chip like that, and marketed as a "Hyper Performance Special" or something.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 2:51:04 PM

I don't think it's even a matter of demand as much as Intel not lowering it's wholesale prices.
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 3:37:18 PM

Why would we lower our prices? We produce our products up until a point generally after a new product has been released and than we no longer sale them. We let the distributors know that we are going to end that processor months in advance. They have the ability to return any leftover stock to us and in the end we have no control over the pricing of leftovers on the market. If someone buys a processor at $100 from a distributor they don't want to sell it for anything less.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 3:52:40 PM

Seems a moot point to answer after the Intel guy, but...

It seems to me that Intel has left themselves a nice open spot in the market in regards to pricing with the rather wide rift between Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge E equipment. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the top of the line Ivy Bridge stuff slot in between the two current products and the lower performance stuff get priced at a 10-20% markup on comparable 1155 stuff. Just a guess though.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:07:53 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Why would we lower our prices? We produce our products up until a point generally after a new product has been released and than we no longer sale them. We let the distributors know that we are going to end that processor months in advance. They have the ability to return any leftover stock to us and in the end we have no control over the pricing of leftovers on the market. If someone buys a processor at $100 from a distributor they don't want to sell it for anything less.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I see, so you guys decide base price and the rest is up to the sellers. So I guess we shouldn't be complaining at all about companies themselves, we should be complaining about the resellers.
m
l
a c 213 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:14:46 PM

$10 tops
m
l
a c 80 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:55:10 PM

amuffin said:
I see, so you guys decide base price and the rest is up to the sellers. So I guess we shouldn't be complaining at all about companies themselves, we should be complaining about the resellers.

Everyone has to make their margin, the resellers included.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 5:03:32 PM

87ninefiveone said:
Seems a moot point to answer after the Intel guy, but...

It seems to me that Intel has left themselves a nice open spot in the market in regards to pricing with the rather wide rift between Sandy Bridge and Sandy Bridge E equipment. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the top of the line Ivy Bridge stuff slot in between the two current products and the lower performance stuff get priced at a 10-20% markup on comparable 1155 stuff. Just a guess though.

Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble, but IVB pricing leaked months ago. They are almost exactly the same prices as Sandy Bridge.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 5:23:58 PM

willard said:
Sorry to burst your conspiracy bubble, but IVB pricing leaked months ago. They are almost exactly the same prices as Sandy Bridge.

Probably won't be, up to the resellers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 7:07:40 PM

It seems to me, that the resellers would be wanting to unload their older products at a discount, and take a loss. Write it off in taxes, etc.
m
l
a c 80 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 7:47:56 PM

or sell it back to intel at no loss, intel have all but confirmed that they do it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 8:41:09 PM

why sell it back when there is a demand for it, look at what those cpus sell for on ebay
m
l
a c 80 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 9:12:31 PM

but certainly no point in lowering prices.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 11:14:30 PM

willard said:

Not so much a conspiracy as an observation followed by an educated guess. The conspiracy forums are located at the following link for future reference...

http://lunaticoutpost.com/
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 11:15:17 PM

^ :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 12:05:16 PM

87ninefiveone said:
Not so much a conspiracy as an observation followed by an educated guess. The conspiracy forums are located at the following link for future reference...

http://lunaticoutpost.com/

More like an observation followed by wild conjecture vilifying Intel and/or retailers. The IVB chips are NOT going to be priced between SB and SB-E, as we've already seen from the pricing information that leaked three months ago. It would be a stupid strategy anyway. Sales would plummet if they did that. Intel is effectively competing with themselves here, and people aren't very likely to buy a $400 chip that's only 15% better than the $200 chip they bought six months ago.

It just doesn't make sense.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 4:45:37 PM

willard said:
More like an observation followed by wild conjecture vilifying Intel and/or retailers. The IVB chips are NOT going to be priced between SB and SB-E, as we've already seen from the pricing information that leaked three months ago. It would be a stupid strategy anyway. Sales would plummet if they did that. Intel is effectively competing with themselves here, and people aren't very likely to buy a $400 chip that's only 15% better than the $200 chip they bought six months ago.

It just doesn't make sense.

If my statement was wild conjecture your follow up was a gross and negligent over reaction of a libelous nature (which it wasn't, note the sarcasm). I never said one bad thing about Intel or "vilified" them or their suppliers in any way.

Without prior knowledge of the leaked (and unconfirmed?) pricing I took my best guess as to what they might do based on what sort of business decission I might make given the product portfolio. When your main competition if yourself it only makes sense to make as much money as possible thus my best guess on pricing. I'm sorry to have offended you with my ignorance and slanderous educated guess. I didn't attempt to state a fact, I gave an opinion. Now stop trolling and mind your use of the English language.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2012 2:34:44 PM

87ninefiveone said:
If my statement was wild conjecture your follow up was a gross and negligent over reaction of a libelous nature (which it wasn't, note the sarcasm). I never said one bad thing about Intel or "vilified" them or their suppliers in any way.

I'm sorry, I just lumped you in with the countless Tom's members who do nothing but bitch and moan about how expensive new technology is in every single thread and rant on and on about how Intel is going to start gouging prices left and right because there isn't any competition in the high end space. In such a context, your conjecture (yes, it is conjecture, look the word up if you don't believe me) that Intel would price the IVB chips at roughly 100% increased cost over Sandy Bridge looks an awful lot like you're taking a shot at Intel.

Quote:
Without prior knowledge of the leaked (and unconfirmed?) pricing I took my best guess as to what they might do based on what sort of business decission I might make given the product portfolio. When your main competition if yourself it only makes sense to make as much money as possible thus my best guess on pricing.

A fair point, but an extremely illogical conclusion. It's not like people have to buy a new processor. Pricing it that high would just make sure there were far fewer people buying the chips. Intel posted record shattering profits last year. Crippling their new product launch with an astronomical price tag would be economic suicide. Like I said before, $400 for a 15% increase over your $200 chip you just bought is a really hard sale to make. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
I didn't attempt to state a fact, I gave an opinion.

Uhh, when did I say otherwise? In fact, I said pretty much the opposite. I called it wild conjecture, if you remember. I'd imagine you would, you seem to have taken great offense to it.

Quote:
Now stop trolling and mind your use of the English language.

In what way have I abused the English language? Coming to a conclusion based on very little information is conjecture, and such an outlandish one is pretty damn wild. Stating that this was a shot at Intel was, at worst, a misunderstanding of the point you were trying to make.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 12:43:45 AM

Popcorn anyone?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 2:23:45 AM

Lube anyone?

err... Wrong channel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2012 3:16:55 PM

Raidur said:
Lube anyone?

err... Wrong channel.

Yeah, wrong channel, but way more entertaining.
m
l
!