Installing Ram in non-recommended slots

I'm putting together a new pc with an Asus P9-X79 Pro motherboard which has 8 DIMM slots for ram. Four on either side of the CPU. I am using an aftermarket Heatsink on the CPU which is enourmous, and blocks some of the ram slots.

The motherboard suggests using slots (A1, B1, C1 and D1) which is basically every other slot. However i could get all the ram to fit on A1, A2, B1, B2 without any issue. What would be the issues with this? Would it affect the speed of the ram etc? Would it even boot?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about installing recommended slots
  1. The motherboard manufacturer suggests this memory arrangement to utilize the quad-channel capabilities of the motherboard. You might see a slight increase in performance (probably not noticeable) over dual-channel (A1-B1-A2-B2). Can you orient the CPU cooler assemble the other way. What aftermarket heatsink/fan (HSF) do you have?
  2. It would boot, but it would drop the RAM out of Quad Channel down into Dual Channel mode, halving your maximum bandwidth. You would probably not notice any difference in operation though.

If you want to keep quad-channel operation your options are return the cooler for one that does not block the slots (Corsair H100i is best performing cooler available and blocks no slots) Or purchase Low Profile memory, which should fit under your cooler
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards RAM CPUs