PSP as e-book reader

This guy has figured out one method to use the PSP as an e-book
reader. It basically takes the text of the e-book and turns it into a
series of JPG picture files, which does have its memory size drawback.

http://gamefries.blogspot.com/2005/03/how-to-get-e-books-on-your-psp.html

The cool thing is the Virtual Printer will do the same for all kinds
of other documents like web pages, word processor documents, probably
PDF. Just another application for the PSP. One thing that a lot of
people seem to be missing about the PSP is how easily it interfaces
with a PC. The USB cable makes the PSP memory duo look like any other
kind of removeable storage to the PC, that can be read and written to.
Now that it has been found out there is a Web browser in Wipeout Pure,
Netscape at that, plus the virtual keyboard can input to it, then it
won't be too long before web browsing and text messaging methods are
posted. It will be a bit clunky at first but when people start learning
how to write code for it, things will get smoother. It is just so easy
now to see how a "game" could be written to be put on the memory duo
that is a virtual keyboard that can be navigated with the analog stick
and circle-square-triangle-X pad, have a screen area above that which
can be a (limited) word processor, or switched on the fly to a web
browser with WiFi connectivity. This is going to get interesting.

Blig Merk wrote:

> This guy has figured out one method to use the PSP as an e-book
> reader. It basically takes the text of the e-book and turns it into a
> series of JPG picture files, which does have its memory size drawback.
>
> http://gamefries.blogspot.com/2005/03/how-to-get-e-books-on-your-psp.html

Very nifty idea, tho 150 megs for a 500 page book ain't exactly effecient.
It's too bad Sony didn't just build a text reader into the thing.

This makes two useful links you've provided. I take back wishing you'd get
hit by a toilet seat falling from a space station.

> One thing that a lot of
> people seem to be missing about the PSP is how easily it interfaces
> with a PC.

No, Bliggy, nobody is "missing" that. It's so cute the way you always trot
along like a little tweed-wearing professor, push your glasses up your nose
and go, "Ahem, ahem, listen class, I am a very well educated man and I have
a very important lesson here to which you must play close attention. Did you
know that the PSP's memory stick is just like a removable drive? It's true,
it's true!" Um, duh.

Just chill, daddy-o. Stick to being the PSP version of Xenon, only with
links that people actually care about.

> Now that it has been found out there is a Web browser in Wipeout Pure,
> Netscape at that, plus the virtual keyboard can input to it, then it
> won't be too long before web browsing and text messaging methods are
> posted.

Erm, how exactly are they going to get executable code onto the PSP? Is it
that easily hacked that it can be fooled into executing unsigned code on a
memory stick? Bravo if it is, but in that case it won't be long before
there's practically as many PSP apps as there are PalmOS apps. Somehow I
don't see Sony making the PSP that accessible.

> It is
> just so easy now to see how a "game" could be written to be put on
> the memory duo that is a virtual keyboard that can be navigated with
> the analog stick and circle-square-triangle-X pad, have a screen area
> above that which can be a (limited) word processor, or switched on
> the fly to a web browser with WiFi connectivity. This is going to get
> interesting.

Never mind a virtual keyboard, you can bet your stained and crusty underwear
that Sony will eventually release a PSP keyboard to go along with the suite
of productivity software that's virtually a given. Wonder if it'll be before
or after Nintendo comes out with productivity apps for the DS.

-Z-