Portable Storage Devices

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b G Storage
April 25, 2005 10:54:52 PM

I am looking for a portable storage device to use in the field to copy 20D
RAW files from a CF card to free up space.

I came accross the X Drive Pro (VP3310) and wonder if anyone has any
experience of this or any other products that might do the job.

Thanks

Lester
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 25, 2005 10:54:53 PM

Archos AV series has a CF slot on it and a built in browser/viewer. Can
also play your mp3 and movies if you want. They have a 40 and 80 gig model
that will fit in your jacket pocket and is portable.

Mack
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 26, 2005 1:05:21 AM

Gizmo wrote:

> Downsides: not cheap (£300), and very choosey which video file
formats it'll
> play.

You can't easily replace the disk in the P2000.

I don't care how pretty the display is, or how many rhapsodic reviews
it will get from Luminous Landscape: for $500, I expect that the disk
inside the unit to be trivially fungible. Every other portable unit
has this nature; what is Epson's excuse?
a b G Storage
April 26, 2005 1:20:03 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:54:52 +0100, Lester Wareham wrote:

> I am looking for a portable storage device to use in the field
> to copy 20D RAW files from a CF card to free up space.

No experience with the RoadStor from MicroSolutions, but there's
an ad for it on the inside back cover of the December 2004 Outdoor
Photographer magazine. It's a portable CD burner that accepts CF,
SD, SM, MMC, MD, MD and xD cards (with adapters). They say it works
with PCs and MACs, has a "true" USB 2 interface*, uses detachable
rechargeable lithium batteries, can show the saved photos on TV (and
play DVD movies too) and lists for $269.

* I'd assume that both Full Speed USB 2 and High Speed USB2 are both
"true" USB2 interfaces, so the RoadStor might use either one.
April 26, 2005 3:02:16 AM

"Lester Wareham" <nospam@please.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am looking for a portable storage device to use in the field to copy 20D
>RAW files from a CF card to free up space.
>
> I came accross the X Drive Pro (VP3310) and wonder if anyone has any
> experience of this or any other products that might do the job.

I recently bought an Epson P2000.
Upsides: Great as an image dump (40GB), battery life is pretty good, it'll
display RAW straight from my 20D, and a fantastic screen - very clear and
very colourful

Downsides: not cheap (£300), and very choosey which video file formats it'll
play.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 27, 2005 2:36:28 AM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:54:52 +0100, in rec.photo.digital , "Lester
Wareham" <nospam@please.co.uk> in
<426d2eee$0$26352$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk> wrote:

>I am looking for a portable storage device to use in the field to copy 20D
>RAW files from a CF card to free up space.
>
>I came accross the X Drive Pro (VP3310) and wonder if anyone has any
>experience of this or any other products that might do the job.

I use it and it is pretty good. Not great and you can't see the
pictures, but it does the job.

--
Matt Silberstein