Sign in with
Your question

CPU Fan error

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2012 3:43:50 AM

Hello,

I just finished building a computer for the first time. I turned it on, everything worked swimmingly except it said CPU Fan error, so I plugged in a keyboard and pressed F1 to enter Setup. The CPU Fan is spinning around 550 RPM and the temperature is at 80 F / 27 C. I'm using and ASUS P8Z68 Pro/GEN3 motherboard, an i7 2600k CPU, and coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler. I don't have windows installed yet, so could it just be a driver issue? Any help would be nice, thanks.

More about : cpu fan error

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:34:57 AM

the bios erros is not releated to drivers.

do you definatly have the CPU Fan pluged into the correct CPU FAN headder on the MOBO? (connector at very top of mobo, not the one near the PCI Express slots)

what is the warning speed set for in the bios?
big cpu fan/s means slower rpm.

you may have to drop down the warning speed.
February 21, 2012 4:43:11 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
the bios erros is not releated to drivers.

do you definatly have the CPU Fan pluged into the correct CPU FAN headder on the MOBO? (connector at very top of mobo, not the one near the PCI Express slots)

what is the warning speed set for in the bios?
big cpu fan/s means slower rpm.

you may have to drop down the warning speed.

Yes it is for sure connected to the right place. The warning speed is at 600 rpm. So the default warning speed assumes I am using the stock fan, which I believe is smaller though I can't find the specifications. Since my fan is bigger, then I can change the warning speed, and all will be well?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:54:55 AM

I am assuming everything is connected and the connection is only long enough to make the CPUFAN header anyways. At 550RPM you have a serious issue stock fans are more around the 2000RPM range, try set your CPU fans speed in bios to 100% or 2000-2200RPM whatever the option is and see if that works, Maybe your bios is running some seriously eco friendly setting there.

If you continue having a problem I would take it somewhere to have them look at it, you may have a short, you may have a faulty header, you may just have a faulty fan unit.

All in all a stock fan gets you so far, you may want to look at a $30 cooler like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 longer term or something bigger just to get more cooling performance for said 2600K.
February 21, 2012 5:01:16 AM

You get the error message only because BIOS thinks that your fan is not working as BIOS does not detect a fan spinning at low RPM (I know this as I have the same problem, so I keep my CPU fan at ~580 RPM min so that BIOS can detect it - if I lower the fan speed to ~550 BIOS reads N/A).

You can disable this error message somewhere in the BIOS.
February 21, 2012 5:18:15 AM

sarinaide said:
I am assuming everything is connected and the connection is only long enough to make the CPUFAN header anyways. At 550RPM you have a serious issue stock fans are more around the 2000RPM range, try set your CPU fans speed in bios to 100% or 2000-2200RPM whatever the option is and see if that works, Maybe your bios is running some seriously eco friendly setting there.

If you continue having a problem I would take it somewhere to have them look at it, you may have a short, you may have a faulty header, you may just have a faulty fan unit.

All in all a stock fan gets you so far, you may want to look at a $30 cooler like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 longer term or something bigger just to get more cooling performance for said 2600K.

I'm not using the stock cooler, I'm using a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. It is much bigger than the stock fan, so that was my problem. I just adjusted the warning speed and its all good. My temps were great, and the fan worked perfectly.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 5:59:58 AM

Well then you have a test platform now, use your stock fan, if it also runs at low RPM, then you know what the problem is. If the stock fan runs up to speed then you have a setting problem, or you have a faulty fan or connection header.
!