Azt3ck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
So this is the specs I have
I7 920
Evga X58 which hold up to 24 GB Ram
640 GB HDD for now and will get more later
This is all in a Thermaltake Mozart TX case. Awsome case by the way.

Now What im wanting to do is or have started is Build a Gaming Server/Family Server for Lanparties I host. Now the problem is I need an OS that will handle it all.
Windows Home Server V.1 32bit only does up to 4GB ram which is not enough and Windows Home Server 2011 is a 64bit and does 8GB ram. So im looking for something that will work and not break the bank. Would like to get the most use of ram as possible since the board will do 24GB. The Home server V.1 i tried which is nice but when trying to load games it would give a splash screen then go back to desktop. Example CoD2, I even tried setting shortcut for CoD2 on desktop but same thing.
Ubuntu is not what im really looking for. I like the windows software and you can set as a backup on the server but mainly just to host games and my files for easy access.
Right now I reverted back to Windows 7 Home Premium.
What do you guys think.

Azt3ck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I do got a multiport router but looking for a good OS. WIndows 7 is good just has the problem of dropping ppl of connecting to homegroup or network, shows its there but when you go to click on a folder says you dont have access. Which is dumb cause you could have just been in that folder and now wont let you. So looking for something that would be reliable.