Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Almost all new components and still overheating ><

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:15:12 AM

This is my first time posting on a forum…I am having some overheating issue that I just can’t figure out. I am not a computer guru but I have decent user knowledge. I bought the computer from cyberpower. My current build is:

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (3.3 ghz) – Black Edition
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-UD3
CPU cooling: Coolmaster Hyper N520
Arctic Silver Thermal Paste
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 16gb (4x4) but set to 1333 in bois, was getting boot fail errors
Xtremegear 800 Watt Power Supply

I have fans on the power supply, the front, the back, and side panel
About 5 months ago, out of nowhere, my cpu started to heat up. I replaced the cpu, the motherboard, the heatsink/cooling on the processor, and the ram. I am at a loss. I will idle around 15c-20c but under load (which me playing Rift) I will get up to 40c-45c. I use CoreTemp to monitor my core temperatures and I am routinely getting a “core 2 is critical” error, which core is critical varies. The only things I can think of is that I have installed the cpu cooling fan wrong, and have the fans blowing the wrong direction or my power supply has poop’d out. I have been reading through the forums trying to find out if the temperatures are ok but the info varies so much I am not sure. AMD site says 70c is my max temp, not sure if I am being paranoid or if something is wrong. I can put a picture of build up if that will help, not too sure what info is needed to get some ideas.

Sorry for this being so long winded but I am desperate. Any help would be great.

More about : components overheating

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:41:15 AM

3rd party hardware monitoring software is glitchy at best and needs the right version to be run to give more accurate readings. Gigabyte should have its own software, if it is giving way out readings or errors then it is something of a concern.

I have idles of 28-32 and loads between 40-60 (overclock dependant) so for you to get 15-20 and 40-40 is rather cool by my assertion (are you living in a fridge?). can you post the reports or screen shots?
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 4:53:56 AM

What exactly are you temps? 45c on the CPU?

Like you read, you will bring no damage to a CPU with 24/7 usage if you keep it under the specified safe range. Usually between 68c and 72c depending on the CPU.
Related resources
February 21, 2012 5:23:01 AM

sorry I should have clarified that, yup on the cpu. I am still looking for a good gigabyte temp monitor...
February 21, 2012 6:04:37 AM

Will this work as a report? sorry kinda new to this part.

Hmonitor Version 4.5.3.2 Pro 456F686A
(Trial)
H/W diagnostics info:
Windows 7 x64 Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Board model: GA-970A-UD3
Version: x.x
BIOS vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS version: F4, Release date: 10/13/2011
Chipset: 5A141002
Vendor ID: 00000000
SouthBridge: 43851002
SMB port used: 0000
CPU:AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor
CPUId:0-F-1-2
Cores:1
Internal Freq=3322.0 MHz
External Freq=738.22 MHz
Multiplier=4.5
SystemBus Freq=0.0 MHz DDR
Memory Freq=200.0 MHz DDR
Thermo control configuration:
Full Throttle:100.0%
AMD Low Power mode:D isabled
Device:None Throttle:25.0% Enable at:70.0°C Disable at:65.0°C
Main Sensor: IT8720F
Poll intervals: Sensors=5 sec, HDDs=5 min, Warnings=5 sec
EventLog: Disabled, C:\Program Files (x86)\Hmonitor\EventLog.txt
DataLog: Disabled, C:\Program Files (x86)\Hmonitor\DataLog.txt
Loginterval=1 min, LogRotation=Never

Monitored data values:
Mainboard=35.0°C (0,Diode,0.0°C)
CPU1=37.0°C (1,Thermistor,0.0°C)
CPU2=30.0°C (0,Diode,0.0°C)
PSU=xx.x°C (0,Auto,0.0°C)
Chassis=1043 rpm
CPU1=xxxx rpm
CPU2=xxxx rpm
Power=xxxx rpm
Core=+1.01V
Aux=+1.49V
+3.3V=+3.30V
+5V=+5.16V
+12V=+12.03V
-12V=-xx.xxV
-5V=-x.xxV
HDD1 temp=32.0°C WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 05.01D05 ATA
VGA device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
VGA Device ID: 0E2210DE,00000000.A1
VGA Acceleration Level: 0
VGA sensor: ForceWare
VGA GPU=56.0°C
VGA Env=xx.x°C
VGA Fan=1740 rpm (xx%)
VGA Core=+x.xxV
VGA Bus=+x.xxV
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 6:11:29 AM

You are being paranoid. Those temps are perfectly fine even alittle low. Until your PC starts showing signs of instability, id just enjoy it.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 6:31:39 AM

IF YOU BROUGHT IT LESS THAN 1 YEAR AGO, TALK TO THE SHOP. before they deny any knowlegde of it. You paid for them to build it, you paid for them to support it. Make them work for their money.

Best solution

February 21, 2012 7:48:37 AM

13thmonkey said:
IF YOU BROUGHT IT LESS THAN 1 YEAR AGO, TALK TO THE SHOP. before they deny any knowlegde of it. You paid for them to build it, you paid for them to support it. Make them work for their money.

He's already replaced parts in the PC, there is nothing they can or should do at this point.

With that said, 40-45c is quite cool for CPU temps under load. Where on earth did you read that was too hot? Are you sure that is for the CPU and not something else? If you're getting alerts on your CPU saying 45c is too hot you should edit the settings to a higher value.

As far as best practices for system cooling, the number of fans isn't important, instead you want to focus on how the air flows in your PC case. You want to be thinking how the air moves around and avoid creating pockets of static or warm air, and also keep in mind which components generate the most heat and adjust your fans to best evacuate their heat. Think about removing air, not blowing air in as some people do. If all of your fans are blowing air in the case the hot air has nowhere to go and this would end up creating more heat.

On my CM Storm Sniper case I have 3 120mm fans; one in the front drawing air in, one on the top of the case exhausting air out the top, and another on the side pushing air out the side as well. I also have a GTX-580 with its own exhaust blowing out the back. So basically air comes in from the front, blows over my hard drive, then exhausts out the side, top, and rear of the case. The direction of your CPU cooler depends on how you have your case airflow setup, in my case there is a rear fan right next to the CPU cooler so I have it pointed right at that fan to blow hot CPU exhaust directly out the back of the case, with the 120mm top fan exhausting anything else, as well as general residual heat from the entire case.

Again, if your CPU temps are hitting 45c under load that's not something to be worried about. My i7 2600k gets much warmer than that under load, and this is a relatively cool chip.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 8:02:50 AM

he's idling at 15-20, thats below ambient?

Its more for anyone else in the fiuture, anything shopbrought if it doesn't work, talk to the shop.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 8:17:42 AM

As stated - those temps are nothing to worry about. You do not need to talk to the shop - there is nothing wrong.
-Bruce
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 8:27:56 AM

dish_moose said:
As stated - those temps are nothing to worry about. You do not need to talk to the shop - there is nothing wrong.
-Bruce

As inferred - You cannot idle below ambient with refrigerated cooling, period. So it the reports must be wrong in some way. Assuming that the original statement of 15-20 idle still holds true.

Thanks for the contribution.
February 21, 2012 11:35:09 AM

13thmonkey said:

I bought it about 2 years ago. The company I bought it from was incredibly unresponsive. but i agree i paid way too much and they should help out.
February 21, 2012 11:37:02 AM

vrumor said:
You are being paranoid. Those temps are perfectly fine even alittle low. Until your PC starts showing signs of instability, id just enjoy it.

I was getting some BSOD earlier but since I have replaced the memory they have stopped, i don't remember the actual error messages but i looked them up and they were memory related. I was using different brands in each slot like a dummy.
February 21, 2012 11:38:37 AM

13thmonkey said:
As inferred - You cannot idle below ambient with refrigerated cooling, period. So it the reports must be wrong in some way. Assuming that the original statement of 15-20 idle still holds true.

Thanks for the contribution.

I think you are right, i have been searching for a good cpu/core temp program but i can't find anything that supports my motherboard and/or processor. I have been using coretemp but it seems finicky at times.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 11:46:12 AM

So what do you idle at? and what is your room temp (please be accurate) and use the same units if possible. (you'll be surprised at how many say 30C and 60F)
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 11:51:02 AM

Gigabyte's Easytune can have the default temperature for the alarm low. My last 2 motherboards it was set at 40 for the CPU soon as I hit 40 it started screaming at me.
February 21, 2012 11:56:50 AM

aaron88_7 said:
He's already replaced parts in the PC, there is nothing they can or should do at this point.

With that said, 40-45c is quite cool for CPU temps under load. Where on earth did you read that was too hot? Are you sure that is for the CPU and not something else? If you're getting alerts on your CPU saying 45c is too hot you should edit the settings to a higher value.

As far as best practices for system cooling, the number of fans isn't important, instead you want to focus on how the air flows in your PC case. You want to be thinking how the air moves around and avoid creating pockets of static or warm air, and also keep in mind which components generate the most heat and adjust your fans to best evacuate their heat. Think about removing air, not blowing air in as some people do. If all of your fans are blowing air in the case the hot air has nowhere to go and this would end up creating more heat.

On my CM Storm Sniper case I have 3 120mm fans; one in the front drawing air in, one on the top of the case exhausting air out the top, and another on the side pushing air out the side as well. I also have a GTX-580 with its own exhaust blowing out the back. So basically air comes in from the front, blows over my hard drive, then exhausts out the side, top, and rear of the case. The direction of your CPU cooler depends on how you have your case airflow setup, in my case there is a rear fan right next to the CPU cooler so I have it pointed right at that fan to blow hot CPU exhaust directly out the back of the case, with the 120mm top fan exhausting anything else, as well as general residual heat from the entire case.

Again, if your CPU temps are hitting 45c under load that's not something to be worried about. My i7 2600k gets much warmer than that under load, and this is a relatively cool chip.

Ya I think I voided their warranty and they were not helpful from the start.

My paranoia started with the coretemp giving me the core 2 is critical messages, in hindsight i shouldn't have paid the programs errors any mind.

I think I have my cpu cooling unit backwards. I have a fan pulling in from the front, the gpu has it's own, the cpu fan has push and pull but it is blowing back into the case, i think i need to take it off and reseat it the other way then. so it is not the amount of fans but the air flow directions?

February 21, 2012 12:03:38 PM

13thmonkey said:
So what do you idle at? and what is your room temp (please be accurate) and use the same units if possible. (you'll be surprised at how many say 30C and 60F)

I am idling at 15-20c. Room temp is 21c.

i looked at the gigabyte easy tuner and looks like mt idle actually around 25c. using core temp for the other temp readings
February 21, 2012 12:13:32 PM

wr6133 said:
Gigabyte's Easytune can have the default temperature for the alarm low. My last 2 motherboards it was set at 40 for the CPU soon as I hit 40 it started screaming at me.

ahhh good find. thank you, i will use this instead of coretemp.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 12:50:13 PM

the 15-20 reading is wrong. do not trust it. You must be idling at case temp + something (hopefully small).
February 21, 2012 1:13:46 PM

Best answer selected by Reckligence.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:20:55 PM

Be that as it may, idle temps mean nothing if load temps are well within the boundaries of being safe, and he is.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 1:43:59 PM

if its wrong at idle, then its wrong at load, it could be reading 15C too low. which would give idles of 30-35, and loads approaching 60-65? and thats if its a simple offset error.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 6:15:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!