ASUS P6T (updated bios to 1408)
Corsair 6GB DDR3
Pioneer BDR-206DBK
Cosair TX650
Nvidia 8800GTS 640
3 SATA Western Digital HD's of variying size
Dynex 24" 1080p LCD TV (DX-24L150A11)
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
(will be installing a new video card when it arrives ATI 4870x2)
Me ~ Medium to high technical knowledge

I put a new computer together yesterday, everything went fine and I installed windows 7 (my first WIN7 install). During the installation, Windows must reboot, this is where the trouble started.

It's taking awhile to load files so I leave the room for a bit, when I return my monitor is off. I check all cables, I have motherboard lights and I hear the dvd spinning, so it's still installing but no picture. Turning monitor off and on doesn't help (no signal detected).

By some stroke of luck I figure out that if my monitor isn't searching for a signal at just the right moment when the computer posts, it will never come on. Once it is on, there is no problem, it keeps chugging along like nothing is wrong, I'm typing on it right now. Yet, if I were to reboot and not intervene, it would stay off. It even hibernated all night, I woke up and left clicked and it was instantly back on.

I've updated the bios and tried multiple resolutions from the lowest 800x600 to the native 1920x1080. I've tested two other monitors, one LCD and CRT, same problem.

I've had this monitor for two years running XP with an ASUS board without a problem. I'm at my wits end as I cannot find a similar problem anywhere on the net with a resolution. Only thing I haven't done is install XP to see if it's a OS issue, I was just dreading doing all of this over again as I've done it twice since yesterday.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

More about : monitor build

November 20, 2011 3:26:02 PM

You should try plugging in the monitor to another PC, just to test it out, although I doubt it actually is your monitor.. I would put my money on that dinosaur graphics card you got there. Update your graphics card drivers and motherboard chipset drivers, and see if that helps any. If not, check your bios for a setting that has to do with PCI-e waking up settings (I cant remember).
m
l
November 20, 2011 9:08:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. The monitor works fine on my other pc. The new power supply just failed so I'm attributing it to that. I'll post back in a week when I receive a new one and my video card.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2011 6:09:16 PM

Even though the PSU was faulty, it wasn't the cause of my problem. With a new 850 watt PSU it still has lack of signal with the 8800gts. The new video card works flawlessly though, so all is well. It must be some bios conflict with the P6T and 8800gts, it's just not sending it a wakeup signal at boot up for some reason.

Thanks for the replies again!
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 26, 2011 6:22:34 PM

What is the maker and model of the new PSU?

Some 850s are really 425s effectively. The stated wattage on the box is mostly meaningless.

I really doubt it is an OS problem. The OS doesn't cover right when the computer turns on. That is covered by the BIOS.

You are probably right that the P6T doesn't like the 8800 GTS.
m
l
December 2, 2011 11:29:54 PM

The new PSU is a Cosair TX850v2, it's an ATI recommend PSU for the 4870x2 that I purchased. The previous faulty PSU was the same manufacturer except 650 watts.
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 3, 2011 3:14:42 AM

I would trust the Corsair 850 to be good.

I know what you mean about the 4870x2 btw, I had a 4870 and it was a power vampire like it was trying to drain my bank acct 300 watts at a time.

I got a 6850 and it needs one less power cord from the PSU and its quite a bit faster as well.

Those 4870x2s are beastly. Nearly as good as 2x 4870 in crossfire without taking up more than one space.

Anyway, I hate to ask, but what was your change over process for the 4870x2. You didn't just shut the PC down with the old drivers still installed and then slap in the new card, did you? When the computer installs the new drivers with the old ones still installed it can cause conflicts and instability.
m
l
!