Graphic card failure?

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
i think my graphic card(gtx 460) is causing my BSOD. it happens after the starting up screen and then sometimes i get a black screen or the BSOD and then it restarts. strangely its temp are at ideal temps(33C - 35C). i need a solution need quick answer..

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

i was like stop x000000000116 or something like that and i look up in other forums and they said something about the either a hardware failure or driver i think

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

well i just finished the check and found nothing wrong. any other solution?does reinstalling the gpu driver do anything?o.o

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

well its not exactly broken but if there is a way to prolong its life i will find it o.o

Well I got a few suggestion but need to know what brand it is so that I can look it up. If it is reference it will be very easy to work with but if like msi or some other brand only a little more difficult but still easy. RMA this card now and when you get the new one then add some vram heatinks to the mostfets in the power vrm. Doing that can extend life for a couple of years.

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

its a nvidia gtx 460
brand: gigabyte

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

can you show me where the mostfets is?
or at least instructions o.o

Dito then we both have the same card if it is the OC version. It does have a cooler unlike most but the fans have such poor airflow that is doesn't help much except at idle. I would suggest that you rma that card anyway but to mod it like I have done mine you will need stuff that isn't made anymore. I did make some chances from this old video though. I removed the stock fans and face plate and added two new fans with a total of 124CFM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwbLWweakRY

To do that mod you need

Drill
pci-e to agp bridge cooler
two bolts with matching nuts that can replace the push pins
two or more thermal pads that are thick enough to keep anything for shorting.

After this mod the power vrm actually runs a little cooler than the vram. It is a non permanent mod so if you ever decided to sell the card or had to ship it back no one would know. I get 900mhz on mine on the core but don't bother with the vram.