Sign in with
Your question

Added RAM to laptop, now having issues

Last response: in Memory
December 27, 2012 7:08:16 PM

Hello everyone I'm running into a problem that I was hoping I could get some help on. For Christmas my dad bought me some more RAM for my laptop after hearing me complain about needing more. So I installed it yesterday on my Asus N53SN and now the laptop is running into problems. First of all sometimes it fails to boot correctly and other times it boots up just fine but then crashes and needs a hard reset, and other times (like now) it boots up fine and has no problems until I try to put it to sleep and wake it up from sleep.

Now I am wondering if this is a problem with the memory that was bought or if the problem is that I also left the original RAM in and just added on to give myself more RAM. I have checked that the RAM is compatible with my laptop and it says that it is, and Windows recognizes it and says I have all of the memory available so now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm going to try taking out the old memory to see if that helps but I figured I would start a thread before to see if I could get some advice.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
December 28, 2012 5:55:54 AM

If you take out the old RAM, does the problem go away?
m
l
December 28, 2012 8:33:08 PM

I have since tried that and it did not fix the problem. I am now trying taking out the new RAM to see if that stops the problem.
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2012 9:16:00 PM

Another possibility: the new memory is not compatible because it uses "high density" chips.

How to ID this problem: the old ram has chips on both sides, but the new RAM doesn't.
m
l
December 29, 2012 10:57:21 PM

I still have the problem with the old memory out but not with the new memory out so it must be something with the new memory that isn't working right. I tried running Memtest86 but it found nothing wrong with the RAM.

I checked to see if the new memory was high density and the old was low density but both sets of RAM have chips on both sides. So now I'm not sure what my next step should be. Should I take back the RAM and try a different kind or should I wait until I can ID the correct problem?

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
!