Sign in with
Your question

My second, new sweet love....

Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2011 2:30:51 PM

Introduction:
It's been, again, 4 years since my last build and it feel an intense craving to once more compose a new electric love. I can't resist, I must build :D . So here goes.

As always it must be a reasonably priced rig, dead-quiet (which my last one wasn't the least bit :fou:  ) and low on wattage usage.

I'm willing to spend the extra ca$h when I feel a component is worth the money in terms of reliability and performance, but I try to keep the total of my budget no higher than, say, 725 EUR (1000 USD).

Why this topic:
Like last time, I'd like to hear your opinions, the money spend is a considerable amount and therefore I'd like to check my build before I purchase the components.

And this topic could be an inspiration to others. Searching components is a tedious job not taken lightly by me. It took me a great deal of time to get where I am now. So hopefully my findings and the discussion here are interesting for others as well.

Usage of the new rig:
The usual actually, so in order of importance and most time spend:
Gaming (CoD4), Solidworks, Photoshop, Illustrator and a bit of internet and watching HD rips. No video encoding or other fancy computing stuff.

Well, onto the fun part:

Components:

CASE: Silverstone TJ08B-E
PSU: Seasonic X-560 80+ Gold
MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IV GENE-Z
CPU: Intel Core i3 2100
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G (2x8 = 19 Gb total)
GPU: To be decided...
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2
CPU/CASE FAN: Nexus Real Silent D12SL-12 BW, 120mm
SSD: Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB
HDD: To be postponed until the prices drop.

Costs: € 725.
Unfortunately, I still want to add a GPU and HDD. I will not remain inside my budget. :( 

I still need to invest time into deciding what kind of GPU I want to throw into this rig. Tips are welcome. I have at the moment a 7900 GS (four years old) and playing CoD4 at a reasonable graphic quality.

If you guys seen anything out of the ordinary and/or have suggestions, I'm happy to read them!

:hello: 

More about : sweet love

November 20, 2011 2:41:00 PM

:fou:  double post.
November 20, 2011 2:41:48 PM

Your PSU is too expensive. Don't get a seasonic, I know it's one of the best but there are alternatives with better pricing.

Your mobo is crazy. An H67 should be the maximum for you. Of course, you are going to go out of budget. :o 

You don't need a cooler. i3-2100 isn't even OCable so it would always stay cool. No need for any additional fans.

NZXT Elite 210 -White < I really love this case ever since a poster here shared it. Pretty cool inside and gets top marks from various sites.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
November 20, 2011 2:54:13 PM

cutebeans said:
Your PSU is too expensive. Don't get a seasonic, I know it's one of the best but there are alternatives with better pricing.

Yeah, it is pretty darn expensive. My thought were..well, wtf, let's splash the cash on the best. To be honest. And also I don't need 1.200.000 watt PSU. 560 is more than enough. The 80+ gold rating did it in the end. I like this rig to be economic with it's electirc juices.

cutebeans said:
Your mobo is crazy. An H67 should be the maximum for you. Of course, you are going to go out of budget. :o 

Yeah, it is way of the scale. I wasn't planning on overclocking, so this board seems like a silly pick. But I couldn't find another board with 3 year warranty, 3.0 USB header (for the front panel of the case), SATA 600 and good reviews from happy users.

cutebeans said:
You don't need a cooler. i3-2100 isn't even OCable so it would always stay cool. No need for any additional fans.

It has a stock cooler, doesn't it? So me thinking I need quiet cooler. I like quiet. Perhaps I can pick a cheaper heatsink and plug a fan on it if it needs to be cooled.

cutebeans said:
NZXT Elite 210 -White < I really love this case ever since a poster here shared it. Pretty cool inside and gets top marks from various sites.

Meh...I like the mATX form factor and I love the look of the Silverstone case. I quess it's personal ;) 
November 20, 2011 2:56:50 PM

Don't worry, the PSU I suggested is pretty good. :)  500 watts is more than enough.

What games do you plan to play anyway?
November 20, 2011 2:58:44 PM

cutebeans said:
Get this PSU Corsair 500w

EDIT: Remove every cooler for now. No need for them.

Do you plan to play other newer games?

A 6870 would be the best for you if you do. :) 

Motherboard would be this H67. It's pretty good.

I could play other games in the future. Most likely Skyrim or a CoD/BF offspring.

The PSU you suggested isn't available where I live (Holland).
These are my Corsair options.

Oops, I'm an idiot. Your suggestion is second on the list.... :D 

November 20, 2011 3:03:45 PM

It is available!

It's the Corsair Builder CX500 V2

If you plan on playing those games then a 6870 should be the least that you are going for. 560ti/6950 would be best but I understand we won't be able to do it with your budget :( .

What is your monitor resolution? If you are under 1920 x 1080p then a 6870 would be great!
November 20, 2011 3:17:08 PM

Yeah, it was on my own list. Silly me.

I have a dell 2209WA (loving it!) with 1680 - 1050 resolution.

Crap, 6870 is expensive.
November 20, 2011 3:20:28 PM

Your case is expensive! LOL.

The lowest you can go is a 6770 which is still a decent card.
November 20, 2011 3:23:34 PM

You can also go lower to the Corsair Builder Series 430w :D . So it saves you a bit more money.

I wish I had money. I wanna make my NZXT Elite 210 build.
November 20, 2011 3:35:09 PM

cutebeans said:
Your case is expensive! LOL.

The lowest you can go is a 6770 which is still a decent card.

6770 is a hell of a lot cheaper.
Yes, my case is indeed quite expensive. But then again, I like it a lot.
November 20, 2011 4:02:38 PM

Feel The Love.

With modded side window.

November 20, 2011 4:12:16 PM

Specs=
Silversone 650w Modular PSU
Asus M5A88-M EVO
PhenomII X4 965 on Be Quiet! Dark Rock PRO Cooler @ 3.8ghz
Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9
Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II
OCZ 120GB Vertex 2E SSD
Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive

MODDED with 3mm Acrylic Side Window + Surgical Stainless Steel Allen Head Bolts + 2 x 4inch Blue Cold Cathode Lights + Silver Painted Silverstone Logo inside Case.
November 20, 2011 11:21:24 PM

Where did this come from. Pretty good though, but go tri monitor. IT looks better in everyway and you have space ^_^
November 22, 2011 6:01:18 PM

Update of the components list:

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power E9 400W
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G (1x8 = removed one)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2

I've changed the PSU and CPU cooler. Removed one stick of RAM (now 8 Gb total) and added a videocard.

Tried looking for a different MOBO, but couldn't find a motherboard with a USB 3.0 header for my front panel of my case. Thinking of swapping the MOBO with a MSI H67 board, but the chipset limits me in future upgrades and some moderate OC-ing.

The PSU is a German brand, quite know in Germany and The Netherlands. Newegg had them, but never sold many units nore got really well known in the US. Anyways, it has 5 year warranty, is Gold certified (not sure if it really means something). It's half the price of the Seasonic. So I hope it is worth the risk to buy a none-reviewed PSU. Will see.

The GPU chosen is the Sapphire HD 6770. Not really delved into the GPU mountain of information, benchmarks and reviews. I'm following suggestions from you guys, and people on Newegg are happy with it.

I'm still doubting if I should get the Noctua CPU cooler, since I might buy a secondhand i5 or i7 when they become available in the future.

Happy to hear your feedback.
November 22, 2011 6:06:22 PM

Owh, and € 704. :D 
November 23, 2011 3:23:07 AM

Good luck on the parts especially the PSU.
November 28, 2011 6:04:43 PM

I've ordered all the components last weekend:

I pretty much changed back to my original setup, hence with a few changes thanks to you guys:

PSU: Seasonic X-560 80+ Gold
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G (1x8 = removed one)
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R677SL-1GD
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Macho

Still looking for a quiet DVD burner and looking at ways of silencing the bijg 200mm fan or replacing it with a quiet option.

Will post my build here once all the parts are in.
November 29, 2011 9:22:27 AM

The fan is not 200mm but rather 180mm.
!