Have I caused a problem by cleaning my case?

michaeld_83

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I am building a new desktop and yesterday I took all the components out of my case apart from the dvd drive at the top and what was left was 4-5 years worth of dust in the fans, vents and all over the inside of the case. I didn't have any air so I figured I would use polish and a standard polishing rag seeing as there were no components left in the case to damage.

The case is clear from dust now and I plan to install my new components tonight but I read this morning that it is advised to use anti static cloths when cleaning a case. I am not sure whether they meant if you are cleaning a case which contains components or at all times.

Have I built up static electricity by cleaning my case (metal) with the polish and rag and if so any advice on how to neutralise it? or is everything fine and I am good to go with my new build tonight?

Sorry if it is a silly question but I am ignorant on the ins and outs of static electricity and I just saved up for ages for the new components so the last thing I want to do is put them at risk.

Also is there any other way to clean the top of a graphics card apart from air? I don't fancy the prices they charge for compressed air when I only need a few puffs.

You can rebuild all with no problem. When you touch something with static electricity it goes tru your body.
You can clean with a small paint brush and absorb the dust with a vacuum cleaner.