Feb 19, 2012
HI guys.

i've just recently bought i new system which has specs:

gigabyte z68-UD3
intel i5 2500k
8gb ddr3 ram
1 TB seagate TB
550W gigabyte odin gt psu

on this system is an HD 4870 1 gig which i didnt get new, it was part of my old pc.

unfortunately im getting frame skipping or stutterring in almost all of my games. im getting a better fps than I was on my old system, but its much less playable because of the stutter.

i have tried fiddling with all of the options (that i know of) in ati catalyst control center including v sync/ triple bufferring, anti aliasing etc, none make any difference, although the lower the fps the worse the stutterring, but generally so long as its below 60 it stutters pretty madly.

overclocking/underclocking gpu/cpu also makes no difference, and drivers for the g card are the latest. 12.1 CCC.

im not sure if i dont understand the FRAPS program but if this helps, the only thing that can stop the stutter in games is when i record with fraps!!? ill be running fraps, at about 30fps in skyrim or crysis, then the moment i start recording, it drops to say 21 but completely removes the frame skipping. the frame skipping returns the moment the video recording ends.

my friend said it might be that i need to disable some video encoding thing in bios that intel has on its chips? but i couldnt find this option because he wasnt sure exactly what it was.

any help would be much appreciated!! thanks :)

GPU might simply be underpowered. If you reduce settings, does FPS become more stable? Also might be an underpowered PSU, though I doubt it if using FRAPS stops the issue.

Just sounds like the GPU is underpowered, causing FPS to vary significantly between maximum and minimum FPS.

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

I agree, those are the symptoms of an under powered GPU, Is there any chance you can get at least a 650W PSU?

turbocabbage

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
HI guys

thanks so much for all the replies.

the psu came with a sofware program called "ptuner" whic monitors the computer's power consump[tion.
when playing games like crysis 2 and skyrim or any of the games that stutter, the program says im only consumin about 200w of pwer (maximum value). i even ran crysis 2 and skyrium at the same time and the computer was using about 200w max as a peak value. does this information help in any way?

power settings are set to balanced in win7. whenever i run games all the cores run @ max frequency, they only idle at lower clocks when im not doing anything on the computer.

If i lower the graphics, the stutterring is less sever but still present, the lower the fps the worse the stutterring. but its still odd because their should be no stutterring regardless of the frames.

i noticede the METRO 2033 works fine. get low fps (about 20-30) and high settings 1920x1080, but there is no stutterring.
infact most older games work okay. games that stutter include (crysis 2, skyrim, deus ex human revolution, dead island)
games that dont stutter (WoW, borderlands, metro 2033, mass effect 2)

perhaps the gfx card struggles with more recent games?
maybe because the HD4870 is older gen, it struggles to communicate with the z68 mobo?
does any of this make sense?

thanks.

turbocabbage

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

by underpowered GPU do u mean in the literal sense that the gpu is not getting enough power from the psu, or just that the gpu is inadequate?