Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best option

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2012 12:29:17 PM

Hi there. I'm trying to decide on the better of these two options for running FSX deluxe version. The one is a Dell xps 8300 with an i7-2600 processor and an HD 6670 card. The other option is a Packard Bell ixtreme 17524 (model no is for France) with an i5-2320 processor and Gforcegtx560ti card. Can anybody help?

More about : option

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 12:51:25 PM

prickly pear said:
Hi there. I'm trying to decide on the better of these two options for running FSX deluxe version. The one is a Dell xps 8300 with an i7-2600 processor and an HD 6670 card. The other option is a Packard Bell ixtreme 17524 (model no is for France) with an i5-2320 processor and Gforcegtx560ti card. Can anybody help?

the packard bell with its GTX560ti ( a top mid level gaming card) is the better gaming PC but from what people state ( i don't play FSX), FSX is all about your CPU. while both PCs have plenty powerful CPUs, the DELL with the i5-2600k offers more horsepower and its AMD 6670 (a top entry level gaming card) is solid enough to play other PC games besides FSX although at lower levels then the GTX 560ti.

either PC will do the job with no issue. if all you play is FSX and you want a PC with a CPU that will last you a good while, take the DELL

if you want a PC capable of playing any PC game out there along with FSX, then take the packard bell. while its CPU is plenty fast for today and a years down the line, it simply is not in the same performance category as the i5-2600k.

CPU benchmark. for gaming a high level gaming card was used, the AMD 6670 would certainly affect numbers more then the GTX560ti
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=363

February 21, 2012 1:23:07 PM

ugh, if only you could get the gfx from the PB and processor from dell.

Personally I would go for the Dell, mainly for the purpose, in all honestly I would beg you to go to your local PC store or even if you know any1 who can build them and get that.

After working for DSGi's technical help line I can only advise you to not get either of them as the 2 companies are absolutely dreadfull, anybody who had a good experience has been lucky.....very lucky.

The specs on both make 0 sence and it seems stupid to have either of the cpu/gpu combi's, Overall the Packard bell comes out ontop for general gaming but for your use the dell would be better.

But I do beg you......dont get either.....
Score
Related resources
February 22, 2012 6:35:21 PM

I agree with dirtyferret, the packard bell with the GTX560ti will be a better choice.

You will see much better performance with a nvidia gtx 560 ti
Score
February 29, 2012 9:41:40 AM

Best answer selected by prickly pear.
Score
February 29, 2012 9:49:05 AM

dirtyferret said:
the packard bell with its GTX560ti ( a top mid level gaming card) is the better gaming PC but from what people state ( i don't play FSX), FSX is all about your CPU. while both PCs have plenty powerful CPUs, the DELL with the i5-2600k offers more horsepower and its AMD 6670 (a top entry level gaming card) is solid enough to play other PC games besides FSX although at lower levels then the GTX 560ti.

either PC will do the job with no issue. if all you play is FSX and you want a PC with a CPU that will last you a good while, take the DELL

if you want a PC capable of playing any PC game out there along with FSX, then take the packard bell. while its CPU is plenty fast for today and a years down the line, it simply is not in the same performance category as the i5-2600k.

CPU benchmark. for gaming a high level gaming card was used, the AMD 6670 would certainly affect numbers more then the GTX560ti
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/287?vs=363

Thank you for for help. Your reply and that of signor (next in the thread) confirmed what I suspected, that I needed to find a better combination of processor and graphics card. I finally found an i7 processor matched with a 550ti card (not a 560 ti which would have been even better). Anyway, I have now got them installed and can report that it's all working great. Thanks again.
Score
February 29, 2012 10:00:46 AM

signor said:
ugh, if only you could get the gfx from the PB and processor from dell.

Personally I would go for the Dell, mainly for the purpose, in all honestly I would beg you to go to your local PC store or even if you know any1 who can build them and get that.

After working for DSGi's technical help line I can only advise you to not get either of them as the 2 companies are absolutely dreadfull, anybody who had a good experience has been lucky.....very lucky.

The specs on both make 0 sence and it seems stupid to have either of the cpu/gpu combi's, Overall the Packard bell comes out ontop for general gaming but for your use the dell would be better.

But I do beg you......dont get either.....

Thank you for your reply. Your message and that of dirtyferret confirmed what I had suspected - that I needed to find a better combination of processor and graphics card. I finally located a machine with an i7 processor and a 550 ti graphics card (560 ti would have been even better). In the meantime I can report that its all set up and running very well.

I appreciate your point about building something tailor made, but I don't have a friendly computer shop in the near area and I'm all fingers and thumbs doing something like that myself.

Again many thanks.

Score
!