Motherboard for 3930K

chub

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Over Christmas I was lucky enough to get my hands on a 3930K CPU, of course this does mean that I will need a new motherboard because of the change in platform. At the moment I am looking at the MSI X79A-GD45 8D and the MSI X79A-GD65 8D, there is a difference of roughly £30 between them. I know straight off from benchmarks that these motherboards are no where near as good as some of the others, but I really don't have the money right now to spend £300 on a top of the range motherboard.

From what I can understand from the two motherboards the GD65 has more PCIe slots, more USB ports and a few other bits and pieces that I don't feel would be necessary for me. For example I am sure 2 6GB/s sata ports will be plenty. But apart from these factors is there anything else?

jimmyfixedme

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

From the little I know about motherboards I would recommend asus. There parts are very good quality and also they have fantastic warranties. Also they are good overclockers. They do boards across the price range for that socket aswell.

Here are all the supported mb's:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Intel_X79

chub

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Looks like I have a lot of research to do in very little time as I will be collecting one of these tomorrow.

jimmyfixedme

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Btw on the intel side of things ASrock is really highly regarded. But do check warranties!