  • Switch
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
March 27, 2005 11:03:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

I connect my PS2 to a SCART switch box, and connect this to my old
(early 90s) Trinitron 4:3 and switch to RGB mode. The picture
correctly appears 4:3.

I connect my PS2 to my friends newer TV using the same cable, the
picture appears squashed.

I connect my PS2 to my DVD recorder using the same cable... with or
without the switch box - the picture appears squashed.

No amount of messing with the settings on the DVD recorder seems to
give a picture with the correct perspective. [Circles are oval...] As
I say I get a fine 4:3 when connected straight to the TV. Can anybody
explain what is happening here? Any way to fix it? I just want to
record in 4:3 to DVD as I would normally play.

[BTW, I'm in the UK... so it's PAL]

More about : widescreen type problems ps2

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 11:03:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

Paul,

What's the Screen Size setting on your PS2? You may need to switch it to
"4:3" if you have it set to "Full", or vice versa.

Failing that, you may need to try a different SCART cable. ISTR somewhere
that some SCART cables have a lead that tells when the cable is connected
to a 16:9 display -- this lead may be present on your friend's newer TV and
your DVD recorder, but not on your '90s vintage Toshiba set; this is
probably the likeliest place where you're getting tripped up.

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

Are you settings correct on your PS2? You can also try asking at
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
>I connect my PS2 to a SCART switch box, and connect this to my old
> (early 90s) Trinitron 4:3 and switch to RGB mode. The picture
> correctly appears 4:3.
>
> I connect my PS2 to my friends newer TV using the same cable, the
> picture appears squashed.
>
> I connect my PS2 to my DVD recorder using the same cable... with or
> without the switch box - the picture appears squashed.
>
> No amount of messing with the settings on the DVD recorder seems to
> give a picture with the correct perspective. [Circles are oval...] As
> I say I get a fine 4:3 when connected straight to the TV. Can anybody
> explain what is happening here? Any way to fix it? I just want to
> record in 4:3 to DVD as I would normally play.
>
> [BTW, I'm in the UK... so it's PAL]
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:18:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

"Glenn Shaw" emitted :

>Paul,
>
>What's the Screen Size setting on your PS2? You may need to switch it to
>"4:3" if you have it set to "Full", or vice versa.
>
>Failing that, you may need to try a different SCART cable. ISTR somewhere
>that some SCART cables have a lead that tells when the cable is connected
>to a 16:9 display -- this lead may be present on your friend's newer TV and
>your DVD recorder, but not on your '90s vintage Toshiba set; this is
>probably the likeliest place where you're getting tripped up.

Thanks Glenn. You were right.. did some digging on SCART and
Playstation and it turns out the PS2 sends a "16:9" sense signal on
pin 8, even when running in 4:3 mode. [It should put out a different
voltage for 4:3 but it does not.] Since this serves no purpose other
than to confuse my TV, solution was to push the body of pin 8 back
into the SCART housing (without detaching the wire) and insulate it
off with tape. Works OK now.. :-)
!