Widescreen type problems with PS2

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

I connect my PS2 to a SCART switch box, and connect this to my old
(early 90s) Trinitron 4:3 and switch to RGB mode. The picture
correctly appears 4:3.

I connect my PS2 to my friends newer TV using the same cable, the
picture appears squashed.

I connect my PS2 to my DVD recorder using the same cable... with or
without the switch box - the picture appears squashed.

No amount of messing with the settings on the DVD recorder seems to
give a picture with the correct perspective. [Circles are oval...] As
I say I get a fine 4:3 when connected straight to the TV. Can anybody
explain what is happening here? Any way to fix it? I just want to
record in 4:3 to DVD as I would normally play.

[BTW, I'm in the UK... so it's PAL]
3 answers Last reply
More about widescreen type problems
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

    Paul,

    What's the Screen Size setting on your PS2? You may need to switch it to
    "4:3" if you have it set to "Full", or vice versa.

    Failing that, you may need to try a different SCART cable. ISTR somewhere
    that some SCART cables have a lead that tells when the cable is connected
    to a 16:9 display -- this lead may be present on your friend's newer TV and
    your DVD recorder, but not on your '90s vintage Toshiba set; this is
    probably the likeliest place where you're getting tripped up.

    --
    Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

    Are you settings correct on your PS2? You can also try asking at
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    "Paul Dormer" <medi@aclara.NOT> wrote in message
    >I connect my PS2 to a SCART switch box, and connect this to my old
    > (early 90s) Trinitron 4:3 and switch to RGB mode. The picture
    > correctly appears 4:3.
    >
    > I connect my PS2 to my friends newer TV using the same cable, the
    > picture appears squashed.
    >
    > I connect my PS2 to my DVD recorder using the same cable... with or
    > without the switch box - the picture appears squashed.
    >
    > No amount of messing with the settings on the DVD recorder seems to
    > give a picture with the correct perspective. [Circles are oval...] As
    > I say I get a fine 4:3 when connected straight to the TV. Can anybody
    > explain what is happening here? Any way to fix it? I just want to
    > record in 4:3 to DVD as I would normally play.
    >
    > [BTW, I'm in the UK... so it's PAL]
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,uk.games.video.playstation (More info?)

    "Glenn Shaw" emitted :

    >Paul,
    >
    >What's the Screen Size setting on your PS2? You may need to switch it to
    >"4:3" if you have it set to "Full", or vice versa.
    >
    >Failing that, you may need to try a different SCART cable. ISTR somewhere
    >that some SCART cables have a lead that tells when the cable is connected
    >to a 16:9 display -- this lead may be present on your friend's newer TV and
    >your DVD recorder, but not on your '90s vintage Toshiba set; this is
    >probably the likeliest place where you're getting tripped up.

    Thanks Glenn. You were right.. did some digging on SCART and
    Playstation and it turns out the PS2 sends a "16:9" sense signal on
    pin 8, even when running in 4:3 mode. [It should put out a different
    voltage for 4:3 but it does not.] Since this serves no purpose other
    than to confuse my TV, solution was to push the body of pin 8 back
    into the SCART housing (without detaching the wire) and insulate it
    off with tape. Works OK now.. :-)

Console Gaming PlayStation Connection Games Video Switch Video Games