Issue with GPU Performance

cUppa

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hey Guys,

I have recently purchased a new GPU: Gigabyte Geforce 560GTX 1GB GDDR5, i bought this GPU in order to acheive a increase framerate in the game i play: COD4, I use to play around 100-125FPS on the game and i bought this GPU together with a Power Supply hoping to achieve 250FPS due to the benefits in the game.

the problem i have come across is, i have upgraded my GFX from a GTS250 512MB TO a 1GB 560GTX and the performance in frames are almost the same, I then started to monitor my CPU usage, and it sky rockets up to around 90% while in the game and around 20-30% while not running any games.

Situation: The FPS increase is barely 10FPS, not even noticeable, but when i changed my game resolution from 1024x768 to 1324x768 the FPS difference between the lower and higher resolution was almost the same.

Is there something limiting my GFX from its full potential?

My System Specifications:
CPU: 3.2GHZ Dual core intel pentium
RAM: 4GB DDR2
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce 560GTX 1GB GDDR5
Operating system: Windows 7 / 64Bit
If you need anything additional, please do ask.

- Thank you

- Alex

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011

Exactly what I was going to ask. Most monitors are 60Hz and some are 120Hz, so anything over the refresh rate is rendered but not displayed. Consequently there's no point in going beyond your monitors refresh rate when it comes to frames per second.

Judging by your CPU usage it certainly looks like your bottlenecked at the processor, as requested, download MSI Afterburner and check what your GPU usage is during the game as well. If you have the settings cranked up to high and CPU usage is hitting 90%+ while GPU usage is sitting less than 80-90% then your CPU is too slow to give you what you want.

EDIT: Nevermind, you have a Pentium D. Your CPU bottlenecked. Even your GTS 250 was bottlenecked by that CPU. I had a Pentium D 945 3.4GHz that was bottlenecking my GT 240 DDR3 a couple of years back. Bad news my friend, it's likely time for a new motherboard and CPU if you want higher frames per second.

cUppa

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Hey Guys, Thanks for the reply, i expected it to be so, thanks for the confirmation, and as it goes for the FPS, its to do the with Q3 engine of cod4, it increases your fire rate etc.. but yeah, il have to start saving up for a cpu, thanks..

- Alex