What Does This Ruling Mean For Sony?

Taken from gamefaqs board.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.

In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
News)

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037
12 answers Last reply
More about what ruling sony

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > Taken from gamefaqs board.
    >
    > Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
    > LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
    > ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
    > million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
    > controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.
    >
    > In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
    > Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
    > selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
    > controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
    > News)
    >
    > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037

    Microsoft Wins! Microsoft Wins!

    ya right....

    Robert P Holley wrote:

    > Taken from gamefaqs board.
    >
    > Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
    > LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
    > ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
    > million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
    > controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.
    >
    > In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
    > Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
    > selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
    > controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
    > News)
    >
    > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037

    that they will eventually have to pay out a lot of cash?
    --
    Paul (That’s what keeps me down)
    Stop and Look

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    Robert P Holley wrote:

    > Taken from gamefaqs board.
    >
    > Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
    > LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
    > ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
    > million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
    > controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.
    >
    > In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
    > Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
    > selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
    > controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
    > News)
    >
    > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037

    >that they will eventually have to pay out a lot of cash?

    And withdraw all games, consoles and controllers from sale which utilise the
    dualshock technology.

    Beck wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Robert P Holley wrote:
    > >
    > > Taken from gamefaqs board.
    > >
    > > Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
    > > LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
    > > ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
    > > million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
    > > controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.
    > >
    > > In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
    > > Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
    > > selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
    > > controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
    > > News)
    > >
    > > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037
    >
    > >that they will eventually have to pay out a lot of cash?
    >
    > And withdraw all games, consoles and controllers from sale which utilise the
    > dualshock technology.

    I think it says they can pay the dosh on one report. I don't know, but
    hell, I'm in the UK :O)
    --

    "Robert P Holley" wrote in message
    > Taken from gamefaqs board.
    >
    > Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
    > LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
    > ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
    > million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
    > controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.
    >
    > In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
    > Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
    > selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
    > controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
    > News)
    >
    > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037

    It means that Sony will appeal, appeal, and between appealing they will
    appeal.

    Don't know if Immersion has any leg to stand on by this "claim", but Sony
    certaintly has deeper pockets -- and more lawyers.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Eric" <ericmau001a@hotmail.remove.com> wrote in message

    >> http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037
    >

    > It means that Sony will appeal, appeal, and between appealing they will
    > appeal.
    >
    > Don't know if Immersion has any leg to stand on by this "claim",

    Well obviously they have *some* leg to stand on being that the U.S. District
    Court in Oakland ruled in their favor.

    but Sony
    > certaintly has deeper pockets -- and more lawyers.

    ....and yet Sony was still ordered to pay. Perhaps Sony needs to delve
    deeper into those pockets and get a few more lawyers.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    The critical thing is that the order to halt sales of the PS1/PS2,
    controllers and games doesn't go into effect until AFTER all appeals
    are exhausted. Sony will be selling the PS4, if not the PS5 by the
    time they're done with the appeals process. So PlayStation fans need
    not worry about the order ever affecting them. I'm sure the PS3
    "TriShock" controllers will either be redesigned not to include
    Immersion's vibration technology, or they'll pay them for the license.

    --
    Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
    http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

    In article <1111954195.563481.251500@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

    > Taken from gamefaqs board.
    >
    > Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
    > LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
    > ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
    > million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
    > controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.
    >
    > In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
    > Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
    > selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
    > controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
    > News)
    >
    > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037

    For all we know, Immersion could be another SCO.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
    > Taken from gamefaqs board.
    >
    > Saturday, March 26, 2005 at 15:37 JST
    > LOS ANGELES - The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has
    > ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7
    > million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over
    > controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.
    >
    > In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony
    > Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop
    > selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock
    > controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo
    > News)
    >
    > http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037

    How could Sony lose this case when Immersion made the patent in 1995, there
    were a host of games at the arcade that had rumble feedback on steering
    wheels before 1995. This company is just ripping people off. Anyone else
    know of examples?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote:

    > For all we know, Immersion could be another SCO.

    "Could"? "Is" is more like it...

    If the patent came out in 1995, why'd it take them 10 years to come after
    Sony?

    There have been older controllers that used rumble-feedback as well, so I
    suspect this is going to turn into a battle of Sony trying to get
    Imersion's patents thrown out due to prior art, which would throw this
    case out, and probably end up with Sony suing Immersion (if they haven't
    done so already.)

    Just sounds like a desparate money-grab to me. Like someone formed a
    company whose sole purpose is to sue someone...
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On 3/28/05 10:09 AM, in article
    1112026153.411193.266580@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "Bill Cable"
    <billcable@gmail.com> wrote:

    > The critical thing is that the order to halt sales of the PS1/PS2,
    > controllers and games doesn't go into effect until AFTER all appeals
    > are exhausted. Sony will be selling the PS4, if not the PS5 by the
    > time they're done with the appeals process. So PlayStation fans need
    > not worry about the order ever affecting them. I'm sure the PS3
    > "TriShock" controllers will either be redesigned not to include
    > Immersion's vibration technology, or they'll pay them for the license.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
    > http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
    > cable@creaturecantina.com

    Couldn't have said it better myself. The way the court system currently is
    tied up, I wouldn't be surprised if Immersion decided to settle 2 years from
    now out of pure boredom waiting for the appeals process to run its course.

    RickB
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Lizzy wrote:

    > How could Sony lose this case when Immersion made the patent in 1995, there
    > were a host of games at the arcade that had rumble feedback on steering
    > wheels before 1995. This company is just ripping people off. Anyone else
    > know of examples?

    If anyone remembers Scalextric slot cars, when I was 13 or so (I'm now
    40 :() I placed a motor with an off centre copper weight in the
    handcontroller to make it vibrate with the speed of the car. When I took
    apart a PS2 controller to fix the cord, I found almost the exact same
    thing inside. Sad thing is when your 13 you don't think abt hiring a
    patent lawyer, else Sony would owe me $90 mil instead of Immersion.
    -JS

    PS. I think mobile phones have the same sort of gadget in them to make
    them vibrate. Nokia should watch their back.

Console Gaming Sony Games PlayStation Video Games