Sign in with
Your question

Laptop hangs after 15 minutes of gaming, watching video etc

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2012 1:23:27 AM

Hello,
I have a hp dv-4 laptop which has served me three years now. Recently it developed this problem of completely freezing after 15-20 minutes of gaming, playin videos etc and the same problem is seen aabout an hour after just copying files, watching pictures etc. Also to note is that the notification "Windows has shut down because of overheating" that comes up when I start it again next time. What can be the issue? People at an hp service centre told me that the fan is not moving and there might be a motherboard or system issues.
Please help.

More about : laptop hangs minutes gaming watching video

December 28, 2012 4:33:51 AM

javineind said:
Hello,
I have a hp dv-4 laptop which has served me three years now. Recently it developed this problem of completely freezing after 15-20 minutes of gaming, playin videos etc and the same problem is seen aabout an hour after just copying files, watching pictures etc. Also to note is that the notification "Windows has shut down because of overheating" that comes up when I start it again next time. What can be the issue? People at an hp service centre told me that the fan is not moving and there might be a motherboard or system issues.
Please help.

The cooling fan is one of the biggest Achilles's heels of laptops (aside from power connectors.)

Get yourself a can of compressed air. With the system off and battery removed, stick something in the fan to keep it from spinning (this will prevent excessive wear on the bearings, assuming the fan still works but is clogged) and blow out all the vents on the laptop.
If the fan still doesn't spin, then it will require replacement.
m
l
!