Temporary power supply

TheByt3

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
Hi so I burned my pc's power supply last day (ocz 650 watt) and I am about to order a new power supply but for the time being a friend of mine gave me a 400 watt power supply until my new one arrives. I wanted to ask will it be able to handle my system the 400 watt one or will it damage it.

My system is asus p8p67 evo, i5 2500k, samsung 830 ssd, 2 x 2TB WD Black, asus engtx 460, 2 x 4GB corsair vengeance ram.

I disabled the automatic overclocking of the cpu from its switch on the motherboard (TPU) I will downclock my graphic card maybe remove a ramm dimm and/or the 2TB drives. Its just that i have a 4 pin for the cpu instead an 8 pin that it needs and in a store here that i asked they told me i should not do that because the minimum for the power supply is 450 watts instead of 400.

Is there a chance I'm going to destroy the rest of my system?

TheByt3

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I have heard before and I believe that my mobo's manual says that I can use just a 4 pin instead of an 8-pin nut I'll just not have a lot of power

The biggest roadblock will be the lack of an 8-pin EPS connection to provide stable power to the mobo for the CPU. Without the proper power to the mobo for the CPU, your system won't successfully POST. Will it damage your system...no because it won't boot.

TheByt3

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

I don't know right now cause I'm not at home but yeah it's a really cheap one and I don't trust it at all so I'm just going to wait or maybe find another power supply and put these two together. Thanks for the answers I'll make a new post in finding a new power supply to buy

OK, you've asked for our opinion, 3, and now 4 are saying don't do it.

Yes it'll probably boot with just a 4 pin, but, it may fail, often peak loads are at bootup before all the power saving features get turned on, (perhaps not for the GPU) .

If it fails then it may kill your mobo (recently seen this happen from an overloaded PSU)

I'd say ok do it, if you removed the GPU, removing the HDD's and RAM is only going to be 10Watts max.

Thats the opinion of four people, if you want to go on and do it, then feel free to.

zzUNDEFEATED

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Dont use it, i did that once with my old PC, my GPU burned and so did my motherboard. I Used alphapowerx 750W on a dual core cpu and a gtx260 :D:D:D

TheByt3

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010

Well 2 hours before you posted I said that I wouldn't do it anyway because I didn't trust that power supply, so no need for worries also I just got a new one the XFX 1000w platinum (preparing for an upgrade that's why so many watts)