Asrock z77 OS Compatability??

Zacbinks

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I built my own PC recently, and I am wondering if the motherboard of my build is compatible with the OS I am attempting to install. Currently I have a windows 7 64 bit upgrade CD, which requires a previous version of windows OS to be installed before upgrading. I also have a windows vista 32 bit home premium CD, which is not an upgrade so I should be able to download the OS on to my new build. After, I will upgrade the OS to windows 7 64 bit. That's my plan, but I don't know if the motherboard is compatible.

From the research I've done already, I would guess that the motherboard is compatible with 32 bit, but is flawed because it wouldn't be able to take advantage of the total memory my build has unless I upgraded to 64 bit which is what I plan to do.

So other than that limitation, is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uzeP

Please help, I can try to provide any additional details you may need about the build. Thanks again!

Solution
your board (every modern board) is 100% compitible with 32 bit and 64 bit window vista and 7.

for upgrade option and drivers help see this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

Some versions of Windows can't be upgraded with the installation disc you're trying to use. For example, you can't upgrade a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version, or upgrade from a higher edition of Windows, such as Windows Vista Ultimate, to a lower edition, such as Windows 7 Home Premium. If this is the case, you'll need to use the Custom option during installation.

Zacbinks

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

So if I install windows vista 32 bit then use my upgrade CD for windows 7 64 bit, that will work. Okay good...but I'm concerned now with after my OS is installed, how do I go about downloading drivers? I have done a reinstall before on my friends alienware laptop, and I reinstalled his OS and had to download all his drivers again.

I ended up getting them online by directly connecting his laptop to the internet and using device manager to find and install all the devices that were detecting a problem. Will that work for this situation as well?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
your board (every modern board) is 100% compitible with 32 bit and 64 bit window vista and 7.

for upgrade option and drivers help see this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

Some versions of Windows can't be upgraded with the installation disc you're trying to use. For example, you can't upgrade a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version, or upgrade from a higher edition of Windows, such as Windows Vista Ultimate, to a lower edition, such as Windows 7 Home Premium. If this is the case, you'll need to use the Custom option during installation.

Solution

The device manager method works, doing an upgrade the main drivers stay in place and windows 7 is good at finding updates if needed. Just let it update a few times.

zdbc13

Distinguished
You don't have to install your Vista first. You can just install your Windows 7 upgrade, it will get to a point where it asks if you have a previous version of windows, put your Vista disk in, it will confirm that you have a valid copy, and continue. Will save bunches of time....

Zacbinks

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I'm hesitant to do that because I already messed up my HDD by attempting to install the windows 7 upgrade CD without a previous version of windows OS. I couldn't even get back to the point where it was asking me to authenticate my upgrade. I'm probably safest if I just go ahead and install vista and upgrade it afterwards...:\

TRENDING THREADS