2500k/2600k - Hyperthread and Game Recording

natefish

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Hello All,

I'm sure there's LOTS of "2500k vs 2600k" threads posted, fairly often. I've been Googling for an answer that I just can't seem to find anywhere. :/ I know the standard answer to the "which processor should I buy" question is to wait for Ivy Bridge, but I'm in a situation where I can no longer wait -- My AMD Phenom II 965 BE finally burned out on me. It was a great processor for the time I had it, though. So, I have to place an order ASAP for a replacement CPU and I'm wanting to make the move over to Intel.

I have my choices down to the 2500k or the 2600k, but I'm unsure which to get. I know the 2500k is probably the most bang for your buck for gaming and the 2600k has little to no performance difference under normal circumstances. However, my question pertains to CPU performance vs. game recording at 1080p resolutions. I know that for actually rendering the video, the 2600k will out perform the 2500k because of the hyperthreading. But, that's not much of a concern for me. Even with my AMD processor, videos rendered plenty fast thanks to having dual GTX 570's and software that can use those to render video. However...

Will I see an in-game performance increase, while recording, if I use a 2600k instead of a 2500k? The $100 isn't much of a concern if it will noticeably increase my performance. But, I'd gladly put that towards my new liquid cooling system if it's little to no difference.

Thanks!

natefish

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

I'm using FRAPS. I have 2 dedicated 7200 RPM HDD's in raid 0 for recording. HDD performance is a secondary issue at this point, for recording. :) I'm more concerned with the performance increase that may or may not occur with the 2600k.

natefish

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I will be going with the 2500k. Ordering it tonight. :) I was holding off for IB. But it looks like I'll be getting a 2nd gen IB in a year or 2 -- Or whenever those come out -- and sticking with the 2500k until then. :)