Socket tears all pins off the processor?

saintsmythe

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Ok, so I just tried to put my i7-3770K into my MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard. After getting several things hooked up, I tried a test power-up, and the thing ran for about 5 seconds then died, then came back on, then died, etc.

So I took the whole thing apart, up to and including removing the processor from the socket.

And it looks as if ALL the pins from the processor are now stuck in the socket. It's like the socket sheared them all right off.

Did I do something stupid or is there something wrong with the socket?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm a derp. Read below for possible RAM issue.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

The pins are supposed to be on the mobo. Nothing was ripped off...

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
There are no pins on the processor.... the pins are in the socket itself!!!!
I would look for a friend that has some experience building systems to give you a hand at assembling that system.
It sounds as though you are doing your first build...
Hopefully you didn't damage anything...
your motherboard manual should give some very basic pictures of how to install that processor.

saintsmythe

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Second build actually... but it's been over a year and I remember the pins being on the processor... never mind, I'm a derp.

Actually, though, I've gotten it to power up and work fine, but it's actually having the same issue I had with the first build.

When there is one stick of RAM in the motherboard, it posts perfectly, recognizes the processor, the optical drive, and the SSD.

When there are two sticks of RAM in the motherboard, it powers up for 5 seconds, dies, and restarts endlessly. No post, nothing.

I've tried several different sticks of RAM with the same result.

My first build did THIS EXACT SAME THING, and I finally ended up settling on running it on a single 4GB stick.

So I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?