1155 build (2700k, P67, 8GB G. Skill, Intel SSD, HD 6950)

cwell1337

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Time for an upgrade to this 2007 marvel of a machine I've had. Been great but time for something new! So I'm taking advantage of this coming Intel Retail Edge program to get me started on a new build. We don't know exactly what the packages or pricing will look like until Monday, however we can safely estimate a Processor and an SSD will be acquired through these means.

The next logical item to look at would be a motherboard. I've been largely out of the game since 2007, so through copious amounts of research I'm learning an entirely new platform. Seems likely that the processor I'll be getting through Intel will be socket 1155. That pretty much leaves me with two chipsets to choose from, P67 or Z68. All I do is game and benchmark, but sometimes I do FRAPs and edit some videos of my own gameplay I have to admit. I'm going to be playing a lot of BF3 and SWTOR I'm sure. I think I would be best served by the P67. As far as what model to choose, I think 've made this decision:

ASRock P67 EXTREME6 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

My first choice was the Extreme4 but after comparing, it's only $5 currently to step up and the extra connections are worth it to me. Is $165 the best deal I'm going to get on this board or will Black Friday save me some money?

Next we need to talk RAM.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Seems like a good choice for around the normal price of RAM in this market. If I need to make the jump (well lets face it this is more of a 'want' at this point) to 16GB I can easily expand. I'm seeing this memory go on sale for like $35 recently, again maybe BF deal.

I will be retaining the use of my Corsair TX750 which has faithfully served me over the years.

I will also be sticking with my Corsair H50. It's safe to say that this is all I'll need in a cooler right? I mean say through the Intel deal I get a 2700k. Is this adequate cooling to get to 4.8GHz with the current 88CFM 120mm Yate Loons that I've got? Probably not huh. Would I be better suited to sell the H50 and the SD-1293 I've got lying around and get something better? What should it be?

Hard drives I'll have the SSD I get from Intel and then I will retain use of my VelociRaptor 150GB drives and my 1TB Seagate storage.

Case, I'm working on modding an Antec 900 (white on black paint scheme) but until I get to work on that it'll be early January. So I have this CM Centurion hooked up.

Now videocard is where things get tricky. I also have access to the AMD Retail Pro program, and one of their packages had an HD 6950 2GB card in it. Upgrading from this BFG 8800 GT 512MB card that I've had for 4 years now is going to be amazing. The 6950 is packaged with an AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black Edition Processor, but let's face it, I'm going with Intel on this one. All the same I can't imagine I'll be able to get a better deal on an equal or better card over Black Friday or Cyber Monday right? I'm thinking $175 is what I'll end up paying for it through the AMD program, that a safe bet? My cousin is looking for a new processor so maybe'll he'll get a Christmas present from me.

I'll be gaming on this beautiful ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD monitor. <3 1920 x 1200

I have a SB X-Fi XtremeGamer to use as well. Does this need to be upgraded, how far ahead is current technology, enough to warrant a new one?

Also through the Intel program I'm going to spend my chips on a Logitech G500 5700 dpi mouse.
Keeping Blue Edition Saitek Eclipse KB.

And I will also keep my SAMSUNG writemaster DVD +/- R/RW optical Drive.

So to reiterate:
2700k (tentatively) $90
Corsair H50
ASRock P67 Extreme6 $165
G. Skill X Series Ripjaws (2 x 4GB) 45
HD 6950 2 GB (tentatively) $175
Intel XXXGB SSD 510 Series (tentatively) $180
2 x 150GB Velociraptors
1TB Seagate
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
Logitech G500
Saitek Eclipse
CM 590 -> Migration to Antec 900

Seem like a good build to you guys? Anything that you'd do differently? I know we can speculate on what processor, SSD, and GPU I'll get but I think those are safe bets. That motherboard is pretty great right? No GIGABYTE alternative I should be looking at is there?

I'll be able to update better once Intel announces their packages. As it is I'm looking at a total of $655. How much cheaper will BF/CM make this potentially?

st4rkill3r

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
The 2700k is tempting, BUT it's not necessary, 2600k will be your best option at least until ivy bridge(if u can wait, WAIT!).
H50 is cool if u really want liquid cooling, I'd go for air.
6950 2gb hmm, consider in getting a Nvidia card.
SSD+2xVelociraptors+1tb seagate, really? :)) I personally like a SSD(of your own choice)+1tb/500gb Samsung spinpoint f3.
If u play at 1900x1200 I think 24'' is more than enough. Anyway it's your decision.
These are the only changes that I would make, of course I'd get other monitor, CPU cooler, RAM, GPU, peripherals, etc, but tastes cannot be discussed.

cwell1337

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007

1. The processor is highly dependent on what the IRE program has to offer and at what price.

2. I already have the H50. What cooler would you suggest I spend money on to get a 2600K/2700K to 4.8GHz?

3. The HD 6850 depends on AMD Retail Pro pricing. What NVidia card would be a better solution at the same price?

4. I'll get the SSD through the IRE program as clearly stated. And I ALREADY HAVE the VelociRaptors and the 1TB Seagate. Should I just toss them or something? I don't know if their resale value is good enough to get rid of at this point do you?

5. I do play at 1920 x 1200... as a matter of fact I ALREADY HAVE the ASUS 25.5" LCD. I'm not buying another one.

6. What other CPU cooler? Why different RAM? What GPU?

Doesn't seem to me that you took the time to read everything. I clearly stated what I'm migrating over from my current build. And you didn't really give me recommendations, just told me what was wrong with my build in your eyes.

I'm really looking for replacement suggestions based on the information provided in my first post. ie What can I get instead at or near the same price-point that would be better. Thanks for trying I guess st4rkill3r.