Just ordered this i7 990x 24GB build - Do I need more power supply?

I just custom built and purchased the following rig on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370561461067

Cliff Notes:

Processor -Intel i7 990x six core 3.46 GHz
RAM -24GB (6x4GB) PC3 12800 DDR3 1600
HD -500 GB Western Digital
Video Card -GeForce 210 1GB
Motherboard -MSI X58M
CPU Fan - Coolermaster V6, 6 Copper heat pipes, Dual cooler CPU fan
Power Supply -RocketFish 500W Extra Quiet ATX

I am not using this for gaming, but for some multi-threaded business applications that will run simultaneously.

My concern is that the Power Supply might not be large enough for this rig? Do I need more than 500W?

Thanks
answers
Last reply
More about just ordered 990x 24gb build power supply
  1. You should be fine with that PSU, but it is an unknown brand with unknown quality.
  2. How much did you pay ?
  3. Could have built better for $1500.
  4. chesteracorgi said:
    Could have built better for $1500.

With that said, is the power supply going to be ok? Or do I need to sub it out for something else?
  5. - Do this PC gonna be full time on?

BTW, didn't found references about this PSU. Saw in it's own website that's capable of 36A combined in 12v rails. This should be enough (since you will not change the graphics card).
    But, if I were you, I would exchange the PSU for a proven reliable one. I would be mad if I lost such computer due to a bad piece of hardware.
  6. vitornob said:
    - Do this PC gonna be full time on?

BTW, didn't found references about this PSU. Saw in it's own website that's capable of 36A combined in 12v rails. This should be enough (since you will not change the graphics card).
    But, if I were you, I would exchange the PSU for a proven reliable one. I would be mad if I lost such computer due to a bad piece of hardware.

Thanks for addressing my question.

The PC might be full-time on during certain weeks. Here are the other Power Supply's the seller offers...Please let me know which I should choose:

Thermaltake TR2 430W ultra quiet
    Logisys 600W ATX
    CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 550W extra quiet
    Antec Basiq 500w extra quiet
    Ultra LSP 750W ATX
    Thermaltake TR2 650W ultra quiet ATX
    Corsair 750W ultra quiet ATX

To be honest I don't even know what Power Supply really means, or even what a Watt measures...I just want to be confident the computer will function properly and not break.
  7. If you have not paid shop elsewhere.
  8. As I have already paid for and now own this machine, Could you please address the question about the Power Supply? Thanks.
  9. Antec Basiq 500w extra quiet
    Thermaltake TR2 650W ultra quiet ATX
    Corsair 750W ultra quiet ATX
    Thermaltake TR2 430W ultra quiet

I don't care for rocketfish PSU's
    I havent heard a good thing about them, in this forum anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Power Supplies Intel i7 Systems