Sign in with
Your question

No display + No Beeps = Frustrated

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2012 6:48:56 PM

Computer - Dell Dimension E510

I reformatted the computer yesterday, besides for being slow, everything worked fine. I moved the computer from upstairs to downstairs, and plugged in the monitor, but nothing. The monitor did recognize the computer turned on, because it would go from black to gray as if it were to turn on. The case fan is working, but it does not sound like the HD is turning on. With that said, there are no beeps on startup.

What I have tried; Switching monitors, reseeding ram, checked all the connections, removed dust, switched power cords, switched PSU, also when I remove the CD player two beeps occur, I even yelled at it a few times and nothing worked.

Any ideas? This problem has me stumped.
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 8:22:12 PM

make sure that your HDD is listed in the boot sequence. It should be already but you can check in your bios.
m
l
February 21, 2012 10:26:02 PM

I would, but the monitor won't even display anything. You can tell the monitor recognizes that the computer is turning on, but the screen will only turn gray. I've tested the monitor, so I know it is not a faulty monitor.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2012 10:47:19 PM

Go to an absolute min system. Just ram and video no hdd or floppy, or DVD.... - see if you get beeps.
-Bruce
m
l
February 21, 2012 10:52:44 PM

Have you tried different outlets? Maybe try bringing it upstairs to the original outlet and see if that does anything. Worth a shot I suppose.
m
l
February 24, 2012 10:44:19 PM

When I remove a CD player, I get 2 beeps. Switching outlets does not change anything. I tried to diagnose the system by the lights, but when I turn the computer on, the lights just go crazy. 4 blinks, then 2 and 3 blink, 1 blinks, 1 and 4 are steady and then 2 and 3 blink on, then all lights turn off.

How would I tell if the mobo is bad? And if it was, wouldn't I hear a beep or the monitor not even register the computer turned on? (even if there isn't a display)
m
l
February 25, 2012 6:55:04 PM

Also I just checked the hard drive by putting it as a slave in my main computer and it works fine.
m
l
February 29, 2012 12:38:32 AM

irpwns said:
Computer - Dell Dimension E510

I reformatted the computer yesterday, besides for being slow, everything worked fine. I moved the computer from upstairs to downstairs, and plugged in the monitor, but nothing. The monitor did recognize the computer turned on, because it would go from black to gray as if it were to turn on. The case fan is working, but it does not sound like the HD is turning on. With that said, there are no beeps on startup.

What I have tried; Switching monitors, reseeding ram, checked all the connections, removed dust, switched power cords, switched PSU, also when I remove the CD player two beeps occur, I even yelled at it a few times and nothing worked.

Any ideas? This problem has me stumped.

Irpwns, I had a similar issue with my Dell E510. You would never guess what the problem was... It was the Frontal I/O Panel (the component that allows front USB connections, headphone ports, and the power button).

My issue might be a little different than yours. I would press the power button, it will just blink a amber light for 1-2 seconds. The fans will also start for 1 second. Then everything stopped. It looked as though it was the PSU because it looked like the E510 was not getting enough power. But the PSU was perfectly fine, I even tried it after I got a new I/O Panel for my E510. I still kept my older PSU because it cost me 60 bucks and sending it back by paying 20 bucks return shipping was not worth it. :) 

Unfortunately, Dell E510 is a old model, so you will probably have to buy a used I/O Panel from a third party seller.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_kw=dell%20e510%20i%2Fo&_clu=2...

I know it sounds crazy, but you basically tried everything else, right (PSU, RAM, monitor)? I do not think this would hurt to try.

Before you actually got out and buy one, try booting your computer by doing a hard CMOs. I was able to boot my messed up E510 by taking out the Frontal I/O Panel and booting it by doing a Hard CMOs each time.

Here is a link to my problem I had, which I fixed with assistance from Tom's Hardware users:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/287750-28-improper-sh...
m
l
!