Sign in with
Your question

Isopropyl alcoholl does not say rubing alcohol is safe to use on cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 7:08:34 PM

Well it says 99% isoproply alcohol and "do not consume" (or something like that) but does not say rubbing alcohol but i orderd a hyper 212 plus so i need to remove arctic silver 5 now so will this work?

also i opend and used the arctic silver 5 about a month ago is it still good to use?
a c 146 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 7:13:06 PM

melikepie said:
Well it says 99% isoproply alcohol and "do not consume" (or something like that) but does not say rubbing alcohol but i orderd a hyper 212 plus so i need to remove arctic silver 5 now so will this work?

also i opend and used the arctic silver 5 about a month ago is it still good to use?

Yes it's the same thing.
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
February 21, 2012 7:35:26 PM

99% isoproply alcohol = the good stuff!
Yes properly stored thermal paste will last for years.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 7:53:14 PM

Where do you get 99% Isopropyl?

You won't find that at Wal-mart, lol.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 9:05:39 PM

geekapproved said:

fredmeyer (im not sure i spelled that right)
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 9:39:52 PM

geekapproved said:

Any pharmacy will have it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 10:00:28 PM

Right on, regular "rubbing alcohol" has oil and other additives in it, don't use it.

It seems I have been corrected. Apparently most rubbing alcohol does not have anything but water in it? I was once told by a group of engineers to never use anything but the 99% kind, as the 70% COULD have other things in, and they specifically said things like "oil".
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 21, 2012 10:32:50 PM

Even 90% is better than most, the rest is only water added but it won't do any harm. Been using it for years as a cleaner as well a few cuts and scraps on the side lol. Don't worry about oil as there is already oil on it now even when you bought it as it is one of the primary components to thermal compound and it can't do any harm.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 12:21:03 AM

jitpublisher said:
Right on, regular "rubbing alcohol" has oil and other additives in it, don't use it.

False. Any product labeled as Rubbing alcohol contains nothing but water and isopropyl alcohol (IPA). When packaged for medical use the contents are governed by the US Pharmacopeia and must by law contain nothing but those two ingredients (21 CFR).

/nerd rant
m
l
a c 77 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 12:51:25 AM

isopropyl rubbing alcol is 70% usp got a bottle in front of me from a well know company
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 1:27:32 AM

Walmart, CVS and Walgreens all sell 71% and 91%. I have never seen 99% at any regular store, I think your mistaken.

It's diluted with water, not oil.....obviously the 91% is what you want to use as it's readily available just about anywhere.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 3:40:03 AM

scout_03 said:
isopropyl rubbing alcol is 70% usp got a bottle in front of me from a well know company

No there is 99% Iso. There are other kinds but I have bought 99% Is0 at a pharmacy before although its very hard to find. We even sell some 99% Iso wipes at work.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 4:33:54 AM

Might depend what state your in though. I had no problem finding it at my local riteaid here in NJ, but you might not even be able to buy it in every state. You can find it on amazon as well.

You can also use acetone in moderate quantities (old school nail polish removers used to be this, new ones use some weird new chemicals and usually have fragrances so no good). Obviously you want to take the CPU out of the socket if your doing this.

Lastly arctic silver actually sells a specially formulated solvent to remove their paste if you want to go their route. I've never used it but it exists http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

P.S. btw the paste that comes with the hyper212 isn't all that bad, but if you have AS5 around might as well use it, just has the stupid break in period.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 10:41:31 AM

87ninefiveone said:
False. Any product labeled as Rubbing alcohol contains nothing but water and isopropyl alcohol (IPA). When packaged for medical use the contents are governed by the US Pharmacopeia and must by law contain nothing but those two ingredients (21 CFR).

/nerd rant

I suggest you do more research. The regulation is specific about what Rubbing Alcohol must contain, but it also leaves provision for almost anything else to be added as well, and it can actually have almost anything in. The ONLY way to be sure you are getting pure alcohol is to buy the 99% type, which I think is exactly what I said.

Legislation

In the United States, rubbing alcohol, USP and all preparations coming under the classification of Rubbing Alcohols must be manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the US Treasury Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, using Formula 23-H (8 parts by volume of acetone, 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone, and 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol). It contains 97.5-100% by volume of absolute ethyl alcohol. The rest consists of water and the denaturants, with or without color additives, and perfume oils. Rubbing Alcohol contains in each 100 mL not less than 355 mg of sucrose octaacetate or not less than 1.40 mg of denatonium benzoate. The preparation may be colored with one or more color additives. A suitable stabilizer may also be added.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 10:55:13 AM

OK, rubbing alcohol used to contain lanolin (oil) and was stated on the bottle.
m
l
a c 125 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 10:56:55 AM

melikepie said:

Just going to add to this, You got the stuff you want.

As for the argument over if 70%(91 and 99) works. Sure it does, just may leave a slight bit more residue. I have picked up plenty of 99% at the drug stores. To be honest, i would be surprised if Wal-Mart did not sell it(but never looked for it).

AS5 is i remember, recommends storing the paste tip down in a cold place.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 2:16:23 PM

Like I said, no Wal-Mart does not carry 99%, nor does CVS or Walgreens, which are drug stores by the way.

I've used 91% many times to clean my cpu's and it's just fine.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 22, 2012 5:41:23 PM

jitpublisher said:
I suggest you do more research. The regulation is specific about what Rubbing Alcohol must contain, but it also leaves provision for almost anything else to be added as well, and it can actually have almost anything in. The ONLY way to be sure you are getting pure alcohol is to buy the 99% type, which I think is exactly what I said.

Legislation

In the United States, rubbing alcohol, USP and all preparations coming under the classification of Rubbing Alcohols must be manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the US Treasury Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, using Formula 23-H (8 parts by volume of acetone, 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone, and 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol). It contains 97.5-100% by volume of absolute ethyl alcohol. The rest consists of water and the denaturants, with or without color additives, and perfume oils. Rubbing Alcohol contains in each 100 mL not less than 355 mg of sucrose octaacetate or not less than 1.40 mg of denatonium benzoate. The preparation may be colored with one or more color additives. A suitable stabilizer may also be added.

Nice try. I played a bit loose with my definitive statement, but the point I was making is that rubbing alcohol doesn’t contain “oil and other additives”. By which I assume you’re afraid some nasty residue will be left behind or there will be a negative solvent effect from the alcohol itself. If you don’t believe feel free to hop on down to your local drugstore, pharmacy, general store, or big box retailer and report back on your findings (internet evidence not applicable since you can probably find rubbing alcohol with midget extract if you try hard enough).

In the rare case that the formulation is based on ethanol (or ethyl alcohol) then it may also contain methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK), methanol (methyl alcohol or wood alcohol), denatorium benzoate or sucrose octa-acetate according the the USP monograph which you’ve so dutifully posted. All of those chemicals are denaturants to stop people from consuming the ethanol (all are poisonous or toxic). The first two are solvents and will evaporate quickly and the second two are solids which are super low concentration and won’t leave any noticeable residue (notice the residue limits are 1.4ppm). I think it’s safe to say that for most people contents which are on the order of a couple of parts per million may be considered negligible and thus left out of the descriptor when someone says X contains Y and Z. If you disagree, we should probably start labeling milk as containing poop in the ingredients section because it's likely in there at a couple of ppm.

Also note that formulations containing isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) won’t contain a denaturant as drinking it and living through the consequences is plenty enough deterrent (also, 6-8oz. will likely kill you). The main real reason that all household items containing ethanol even have a denaturant is because the government taxes ethanol differently if it doesn’t (potable = higher tax rate). Take hairspray for instance, the solvent is typically ethanol which contains a denaturant (brucine sulfate), but why is that in there? Who drinks hairspray?

So, what’s my point? Commonly available rubbing alcohol contains nothing but water and alcohol (and here’s the part I left out…possibly a couple of ppm of some stuff that tastes bad). So, whether it's 70% or 99% feel free to use it to remove thermal paste without any worry of deleterious effects from "oils and other addatives".
m
l
a c 77 à CPUs
February 22, 2012 8:20:01 PM

in canada wal-mart got the rougier at 70% only
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2012 12:37:36 PM

87ninefiveone said:
Nice try. I played a bit loose with my definitive statement, but the point I was making is that rubbing alcohol doesn’t contain “oil and other additives”. By which I assume you’re afraid some nasty residue will be left behind or there will be a negative solvent effect from the alcohol itself. If you don’t believe feel free to hop on down to your local drugstore, pharmacy, general store, or big box retailer and report back on your findings (internet evidence not applicable since you can probably find rubbing alcohol with midget extract if you try hard enough).

In the rare case that the formulation is based on ethanol (or ethyl alcohol) then it may also contain methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK), methanol (methyl alcohol or wood alcohol), denatorium benzoate or sucrose octa-acetate according the the USP monograph which you’ve so dutifully posted. All of those chemicals are denaturants to stop people from consuming the ethanol (all are poisonous or toxic). The first two are solvents and will evaporate quickly and the second two are solids which are super low concentration and won’t leave any noticeable residue (notice the residue limits are 1.4ppm). I think it’s safe to say that for most people contents which are on the order of a couple of parts per million may be considered negligible and thus left out of the descriptor when someone says X contains Y and Z. If you disagree, we should probably start labeling milk as containing poop in the ingredients section because it's likely in there at a couple of ppm.

Also note that formulations containing isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) won’t contain a denaturant as drinking it and living through the consequences is plenty enough deterrent (also, 6-8oz. will likely kill you). The main real reason that all household items containing ethanol even have a denaturant is because the government taxes ethanol differently if it doesn’t (potable = higher tax rate). Take hairspray for instance, the solvent is typically ethanol which contains a denaturant (brucine sulfate), but why is that in there? Who drinks hairspray?

So, what’s my point? Commonly available rubbing alcohol contains nothing but water and alcohol (and here’s the part I left out…possibly a couple of ppm of some stuff that tastes bad). So, whether it's 70% or 99% feel free to use it to remove thermal paste without any worry of deleterious effects from "oils and other addatives".

Blah blah blah.....
I stated a very simple fact, again, suggested to me first by a group of engineers, and you jumped in and accused me of making a false statement. As it turns out, they were absolutely correct, my statement was not in error, and quite frankly, your point is pointless.
m
l
!