Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Simple Memory Question!

Last response: in Memory
Share
December 28, 2012 4:31:02 AM

I was just wondering how much memory can you put on a z77 board. I have been looking around and can not find and dual channel ddr3 memory over 16gb in size. I am wondering because i do alot of video editing and want to know how much i can put into my new build. Please help, and Thanks in advance.

More about : simple memory question

a b } Memory
December 28, 2012 4:35:07 AM

The max you can get is 32GB, with 4x8GB sticks.

You wont find any dual channel kits above 16GB as so far there isn't any one stick with more than 8GB on it.
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 4:47:45 AM

manofchalk said:
The max you can get is 32GB, with 4x8GB sticks.

You wont find any dual channel kits above 16GB as so far there isn't any one stick with more than 8GB on it.


So i just buy 2 kits of 2x8gb? I was wondering because there are kits of 4x4, and 2x8... just wondering why there would not be a kit of 4x8gb... :/ 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 28, 2012 4:58:26 AM

it doesn't matter if it is 4 kits of 1x8GB or 2 kits of 2x8GB or 1 kit of 4x8GB , you can go for anyone , you just need to make sure that all are identical

also make sure that your board supports 32GB of ram by looking in the mannual of your board

though there are some quad channel kits are also available for example tridentx quad channel kit
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 5:26:11 AM

truegenius said:
it doesn't matter if it is 4 kits of 1x8GB or 2 kits of 2x8GB or 1 kit of 4x8GB , you can go for anyone , you just need to make sure that all are identical

also make sure that your board supports 32GB of ram by looking in the mannual of your board

though there are some quad channel kits are also available for example tridentx quad channel kit


z77 does not support quad channel, only dual or single channel
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 5:28:34 AM

does it matter if it is a quad or dual channel kit? If you buy a quad channel kit, will it automatically run in dual channel or is the ram specifically different?
m
0
l
a b } Memory
December 28, 2012 5:29:59 AM

Dual channel means that it only has two sticks, therefore can take best advantage of the two (dual) channels on the motherboard. However, it is possible to put two sticks on the one channel (hence why there are four RAM slots).

If you want more than 16GB of RAM, you have to use more than two sticks.

EDIT: no difference between dual and quad channel kits except for the number of sticks.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
December 28, 2012 5:41:49 AM

I would put that down to a typo. Every other kit with four sticks says quad, just like everyone with two says its dual.
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 5:53:41 AM

manofchalk said:
I would put that down to a typo. Every other kit with four sticks says quad, just like everyone with two says its dual.


so i can buy any desktop memory pack with 4 stick of memory up to 32gb
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 6:05:55 AM

My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (4x2Gb 1600mhz=6400mhz =6.4ghz) vs (2x8Gb 1600=3200mhz=3.2ghz).
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 6:07:50 AM

my recamend is Buy "TRANSCEND" ram,ssd .reason other manufacturers give only 1year warenty but transcend give "lifetime warenty" so no need to warry about problems. Then cost "no more dealer and distributer " because anyone can "buy directly in TRANSCEND.COM" so cost lower then other.
Axe ram 2100mhz oc enabled so future proof with lifetime warenty.
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 6:13:58 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
my recamend is Buy "TRANSCEND" ram,ssd .reason other manufacturers give only 1year warenty but transcend give "lifetime warenty" so no need to warry about problems. Then cost "no more dealer and distributer " because anyone can "buy directly in TRANSCEND.COM" so cost lower then other.
Axe ram 2100mhz oc enabled so future proof with lifetime warenty.


sorry bro, i don't want to take a vacation anywhere right now. i dont have the mone for that. (TRANSCEND.COM)
m
0
l
December 28, 2012 6:29:17 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (4x2Gb 1600mhz=6400mhz =6.4ghz) vs (2x8Gb 1600=3200mhz=3.2ghz).


if your board run ram at 1600 and you buy 2133 ram, it is not a waste because you set the ram speed in the bios to the optimised speed on the box. also, z77 boards run ONLY in dual channel so you would be getting the same speeds with 2 stick than if you had 4. the only better thing about getting 4 sticks is they tend to have lower latency. You are thinking about x79 boards, wich can run quad, triple, dual, or single channel, which in your case is true.
z77 = dual channel (4x4gb 1.6ghz = 3.2ghz) and (2x8gb 1.6Ghz = 3.2ghz)
x79 = quad channel (4x4gb 1.6ghz = 6.4ghz) and (2x8gb 1.6ghz = 3.2ghz) <-- only 3.2 because forcing the board to run dual channel

I have/am getting a z77 board for my i7 2700k which i got a deal on.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
December 28, 2012 6:47:21 AM

Quote:
so i can buy any desktop memory pack with 4 stick of memory up to 32gb

yes you can

though to make it easy for all of us , you can specify budget, shopping site, quantity needed , and your complete system configuration
and many toms's member will be able to help you out with ease and in less time without any confusion ;) 
m
0
l
a b } Memory
December 28, 2012 7:02:10 AM

Be aware there are limits for the different editions of Windows 7 64bit regarding memory. Windows 8 is not an issue.

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB
m
0
l
a b } Memory
December 28, 2012 7:18:30 AM

hytecgowthaman said:
My recamend is fill all slots dont see capacity. see mhz in board and ram.Reason mhz is the key to achive speed. if board support 1600mhz u insert 1333mhz its waste because not get full speed of ram slot. if board support 1333mhz u insert 1600mhz its also waste of money (1333mhz ram is cheaper than 1600mhz)also u not utilise full speed of ram. (4x2Gb 1600mhz=6400mhz =6.4ghz) vs (2x8Gb 1600=3200mhz=3.2ghz).



But getting RAM above 1600Mhz isnt worth it. The cost increase doesn't merit the minuscule performance difference. Also any enthusiast oriented board will support up to 2133Mhz, my AsRock support 2800+Mhz, no way am I going to buy RAM clocked that high, its not worth it.
Also that last bit , with the multiplying RAM by frequency is utter trite.
m
0
l
December 31, 2012 12:07:34 AM

so just to be clear, if i get windows 8, there is no limitation of ram size on any of them... and thank you guys soo much for helping me out
m
0
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 31, 2012 2:52:04 AM

the amount yes, the beginners package of win8 starts from 128GB where Win7 is a lousy 8GB. But even then, those excessive large amounts aren't meant for us average consumers.

Despite this, if you were going for more than 16GB, you will need either Win7 Pro (minimum) or Win8.
Share
January 13, 2013 8:47:55 PM

Best answer selected by hiporc.
m
0
l
!