Changing cpu from 64bit to 32bit

Most of my software works with 32 bit. Now that I have a 64bit cpu, I can hardly do anything with my computer.
Can I have it physically changed or must I sell it and buy a 32 bit one?
5 answers Last reply
More about changing 64bit 32bit
  1. Hi

For many years almost all CPU's from Intel & AMD are 64bit capable

you can run both 64bit & 32bit versions of Windows on a 64bit CPU

Is your Windows Software 32bit or 64bit ?
    The only significant disadvantage for 64bit versions of Windows Vista & 7 is lack of device drivers for old hardware such as multifunction devices, printers, scanners etc.

Have you upgraded from XP to 7 recently ?
    Microsoft gives a free version of MS Virtual Machine 2007 which allows you to install Windows XP (for Home versions and Win XP upwards)
    With Win 7 Pro, Ultimate & Enterprise you can download a free Virtual Machine + virtual disk containing a licensed copy of XP SP3

which maybe useful if you have old programs which do not work under Vista & 7

regards

Mike Barnes
  2. What is your OS? Almost all the processors for the past 5 years have supported 64bit memory extensions. The processor does really care if you are running a 32bit or a 64bit application as long as the OS supports it. Most likely the way to fix your problem is to use an OS like Windows 7 64bit Pro which will have a build in emulator for XP that will allow you to run your application in that environment.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  3. you are doing something wrong. Your software will work fine on a 64 bit cpu.
  4. JTP1 said:
    Most of my software works with 32 bit. Now that I have a 64bit cpu, I can hardly do anything with my computer.

You cannot "physically change" a 64-bit CPU into a 32-bit CPU.... well actually you can attempt to but it is almost a guarantee that you will damage the CPU. The chances of you dying within the next 100 seconds is higher than your chances of doing a successful homemade hack surgery on a CPU.

Exactly what is your problem?
  5. JTP1 said:

What? You are going to have to elaborate a little my friend, what you are saying makes no sense at all.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Software