magsley

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I recently received a Dell XPS 15 laptop as a gift for college. I am somewhat of a computer noob, so I don't understand a lot about computer parts and the such, so I'm posting here for some advice and information.

My specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz
RAM: 6.00 GB (5.90 GB usable)
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium
1920 x 1080 display

I want to know what I can do with these specs and how to optimize them. Like what are the things I can do with these parts. The question is vague, I know, but only because I don't really understand my computer. In the next year I will need to be doing 3D modelling, texturing, shading, etc. and programming due to my major- visual effects and technical direction.

I've been trying to run Skyrim, but even on medium the framerate is absolutely horrendous, making the game completely unplayable. The Sims 3 I can play on High settings with sacrifice in graphics for performance. I guess I'm just a noob looking for answers on how good my computer is and what its able to do.

Solution
its not bad for a laptop.

the 540M is not a very strong gpu, which is your limiting factor in games, push skyrim down to low to play it, and it shoudl still work. the 540M is roughly equal to a several generations old 7800 desktop gpu.