Sign in with
Your question

Can I use an old router to give my desktop WiFi capabilities?

Last response: in Networking
December 19, 2010 8:26:09 PM

Hello, I recently set up an old desktop (Windows XP) so I could have basic internet browsing in one spot, but I can't get internet to it. It used to have a wireless card in it, but I gave that away to somebody. I can't run an ethernet cable to it, because I don't have any free spots left on my main router. What I want to do is pull out my old router and use it to connect my desktop to the network. My main router is a Dlink DIR-655, and it's plugged into my main desktop (Windows 7), two game consoles, and my PVR. The old router is a WBR-1310, and it is pretty basic. I do remember once using it to make a second network by plugging it into my main router, then I figured out that my 655 can make a second network by itself. I just want to make the 1310 wirelessly take internet from my main router, then put it into my other desktop with ethernet. I don't want it to make another network, or extend my range, or any of that stuff.

Thank you in advance
Anonymous
December 20, 2010 5:27:51 AM

I don't think you can easily turn a wireless router into a wireless adapter.

With some models you can get one router to talk to another wirelessly (providing both support WDS and are preferably of the same brand) and I guess you could then connect the second one to the computer by ethernet cable.

The normal use of a wireless connection between two routers is to extend the wireless signal.
m
l
December 20, 2010 11:35:58 AM

Sure you can! If there is an option to select "Client Mode" in your router anywhere, you're set!
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2010 10:55:39 PM

Either called "client mode" (as PsychoTeddy said) or "bridge mode". Many alternate router firmwares support bridge mode, but unfortunately, none I know of support the DIR-655. Alternatively, I think you can also stand-alone bridges, but they usually cost so much, you might as well just buy another wireless card or USB adapter, since they sell for 20-30$ now.
m
l
December 21, 2010 12:51:57 AM

The only out of the ordinary option I can see on the 1310 is "Access Point Mode"
would that help me at all?
m
l
December 21, 2010 5:02:32 AM

Could be worth a try. If it has an uplink port, pop a cable in there with the other end in the MODEM. If your wireless adapter can "see" the router's SSID, it's worth changing a ew more settings.

m
l
December 21, 2010 11:13:41 AM

It should also be noted that some routers do not have this capability. Most cheap Linksys and Netgear routers, do however.
m
l
!