Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ASUS GTX 580 OR EVGA GTX 580?

Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2011 2:30:46 AM

EVGA, better built cards IMO and their warranty and customer support is second to none.

The EVGA exhausts all heat OUTSIDE the case.
The ASUS most of it is just blown inside the case heating up the rest of your system for no reason and then sucking back in that same heated up air.

EVGA has lifetime warranty, ASUS is only 3 yrs.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 21, 2011 3:03:27 AM

@Energy96
With a good airflow case there's no problem at all with the Asus Direct CU II, in fact it never reaches 70 with full GPU load, the EVGA will reach 85-90 beside the noise issue because it's a reference design card. And in fact most of us are using non reference design cards, no one reported noise or heat issues and the temps are dramatically lower than the non ref design cards . Adding a second EVGA in the future will cause serious heat & noise issues.

The only problem with the Asus Direct CU II is it takes 3 slots from the case, adding a second one ine the future will be hard if the OP using more Add in cards.

@OP, have you considered the Galaxy or the MSI lightening.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
Related resources
November 21, 2011 11:04:21 AM

ilysaml said:
@Energy96
With a good airflow case there's no problem at all with the Asus Direct CU II, in fact it never reaches 70 with full GPU load, the EVGA will reach 85-90 beside the noise issue because it's a reference design card. And in fact most of us are using non reference design cards, no one reported noise or heat issues and the temps are dramatically lower than the non ref design cards . Adding a second EVGA in the future will cause serious heat & noise issues.

The only problem with the Asus Direct CU II is it takes 3 slots from the case, adding a second one ine the future will be hard if the OP using more Add in cards.

I have a HAF x blue edition case full tower, I believe it has 9 gpu pannels on the side of the case, So I believe it might hold the 2 asus cards coming up to be 6 slots with 3 left over for sound card etc. I have considered the others but I believe im leaning towards the asus or evga, Some people say its better and others are saying its bad, I'm still really confused :??: 
Score
November 21, 2011 11:33:11 AM

I'd get the EVGA. Fewer problems. better quality control.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 21, 2011 1:11:37 PM

@Diaxis
The problem is that the Asus Direct CU II will block the case slots and PCIE slots, so if you have a PCIE X8 attached next to the PCIE x16 it will be covered by one GPU.

Asus D CU II, EVGA, MSI, or any other quality branded is okay but you must consider cooling, noise level when you purchase it.
EVGA is the best partner for nVidia but i wouldn't pick it up because of the heat issues specially when SLI.
Review those 2 threads, 2 members complain from the EVGA GTX 580 temperature problems
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332788-33-temperature...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332890-33-temp-proble...

Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 21, 2011 1:16:10 PM

IMO, Get the Galaxy or the Asus if it won't cause a problem to you.
Score
November 21, 2011 2:41:25 PM

I'd get the EVGA. Looks cooler.
Score
November 21, 2011 3:21:02 PM

5 hours! Do you go thru this same type of mindf**k when deciding between a Whopper or a Big Mac?
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 21, 2011 7:44:28 PM

No it won't.
Score
November 21, 2011 7:54:57 PM

Even in SLI with these bulky 3 slot cards?
Score
November 22, 2011 12:02:06 AM

ilysaml said:
@Energy96

I have 2 EVGA GTX 580's (reference design) sandwiched (no space between the two) in SLI and they are overclocked and my temps never go above 73C. It did require a very minor tweak to the fan profile using afterburner but it didn't result in the cards being more noisy at all. All I did was adjust the fans to kick in a little earlier around 70C instead of waiting till 85C. The result was the same level of fan noise that I always had during demanding games like BF3 but instead of temps being in the high 80's under really demanding games they are now in the high 60's low 70's and none of their heat is being injected into my case warming up other components. Most cards with 2 fans are louder then the reference cards simply due to having two fans instead of only one generating noise.

The key to good reference temps are the same as any other card, good case airflow and keeping the air that is in the case (and sucked into the cards intake) as cool as possible, IMO that is much easier with reference cards and the most it requires is simply adjusting the fan curve which if the cooling in the case is good doesn't require increasing the RPM, and the resulting noise level, at all.

Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 22, 2011 3:34:07 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
5 hours! Do you go thru this same type of mindf**k when deciding between a Whopper or a Big Mac?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Spending $500 on a video card is a much bigger investment than spending $4 on a cheeseburger. I'd go with the EVGA - lifetime warranty, better tech support and they have a really fast RMA department.
Score
November 22, 2011 3:54:32 AM

Go with a 6970, much cheaper for not much less performance. Nividia has been way overpriced lately. I am not a fanboy, as I have 2 systems with both platforms and I like both. If you are going multi monitor than CFX scales better than SLI, that's just from my experience.
Score
November 22, 2011 7:07:43 AM

Diaxis said:
MOBO I'll be using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Will it block the PCI slots if I go ASUS 580?

I'm not sure why ilysaml said that won't block any PCI slots, but maybe he didn't realize the Asus takes up 3 slots because it sure will. Having 2 of those will block one of your 1x PCIe slots, the bottom 4x PCIe slot, as well as covering the only 2 PCI slots available.

With the EVGA you'll only cover 1 PCI slot if you really need it.

I sure hope you plan on doing a triple monitor setup or some 3D gaming because I have that EVGA 580 and it handles anything I throw at it on my Samsung LED 1080p monitor. I wouldn't bother with SLI unless I planned on getting 2 more monitors - which I'd love to do but can't afford ;) 

One thing to note, I've felt how hot the air is coming out of my EVGA card from the back of the PC. I'm sure as hell glad I got it for that rear exhaust because I definitely wouldn't want all that hot air emptying inside the case, despite my 3 200mm fans on my very well air circulated CM Storm Sniper case. I always prefer to keep heat as far away from other components and the motherboard when possible. I'm not exactly sure if the Asus blows all out the rear exhaust or only partial, I'd prefer all but that's just me.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 22, 2011 9:03:22 PM

@Energy96
Review my the 2 threads i linked and see what people experience. you're the first one who proved the opposite.

@aaron88_7
I meant it won't block the PCIE slots, which will be still available for the second GTX.

@OP
Sorry if i wasn't clear, but for sure it will block the PCI slots (one card take 3 slots from the case and cover 2 PCI/E slots in the MOBO) but you still have one PCIE slot to install the second GPU. It will look like this
Score

Best solution

November 22, 2011 11:42:51 PM

ilysaml said:
@Energy96
Review my the 2 threads i linked and see what people experience. you're the first one who proved the opposite.

lol, I guess the laws of thermal dynamics operate differently within my PC case than everyone else. :lol: 

The only downside to reference cards SLI'd is that you likely will need to adjust the fan profile like I did because Nvidi's profile is garbage. Most people who buy non-reference cards overclock them and change the fan profile as well, something people who buy reference cards don't usually do. You can get mostly the same result with either though.

Inside of case showing the 2 GTX 580's snuggling very tightly. I removed the side panel for the pic as I was getting glare off the plexi.

Custom fan profile.

Max temps 73C @99% GPU usage

Max fan speed 76%

These were taken just after playing a full round of BF3 at max settings @2560x1440, these cards are also overclocked.
I can bring the temps down even lower at the cost of a more aggressive profile but these temps are quite cool for 580's in this configuration and it is still pretty quiet.

:hello: 
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 23, 2011 6:31:43 PM

ilysaml said:
@Energy96

@aaron88_7
I meant it won't block the PCIE slots, which will be still available for the second GTX.

@OP
Sorry if i wasn't clear, but for sure it will block the PCI slots (one card take 3 slots from the case and cover 2 PCI/E slots in the MOBO) but you still have one PCIE slot to install the second GPU. It will look like this
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9vgJ1nwu_xA/TUcsjE7nTZI/AAAAAAAAFYM/28CE03qg3sg/s1600/IMG_3441.jpg

OMG!!! Those are some huge video cards - is there even a motherboard underneath those?? :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Score
November 30, 2011 8:04:40 PM

Best answer selected by Diaxis.
Score
!