Sign in with
Your question

Problems with gigabyte motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2012 2:54:29 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 for about a month now working with a fx 6300 and 2 sticks of ddr3 1600 kingston memory. Yesterday I decided to upgrade the ram with 2 more stick of the same specification. With 4 sticks of ram the PC would not boot. After a bios reset the PC does not boot even with a single stick of ram in any of the 4 slots. Is the motherboard faulty, should I return it? Any advice will be highly appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2012 3:28:41 PM

Try resetting the CMOS, some setting on the timings or something may have gotten changed. It is usually best to buy a full set of RAM at once to ensure compatibility. You could probably RMA the RAM if you got it from Newegg or something, they will let you swap out incompatible RAM.
December 28, 2012 8:27:39 PM

The PC does not want to boot. I'm receiving a long system beep at boot. I think that the mobo is dead. Will have to send it back along with the new ram sticks.
a b V Motherboard
December 28, 2012 8:33:19 PM

Try and match the beep code to this:

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?

A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems. (For reference only.) 1 short: System boots successfully 2 short: CMOS setting error 1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error 1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error 1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error 1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly Continuous short beeps: Power error
!