Second graphics card died? Whats the hell is going on?

witches_jelly

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Ok so not all that long ago I built a new computer, the specs of which are below. The first GPU died after only about a day, but thankfully I have a z68 board so switching to integrated graphics is no problem and I got that sorted out with new egg and they sent me a new card. Well I just woke up and fired up my computer to check my email and use the internet a bit before work... only to see my monitor wasn't getting a signal. So I look inside the case and sure enough the lights on the GPU are off, though its fans are still going. Any idea what the heck could be happening or even where I should start looking to figure out the problem? I don't know for sure if the GPU is dead or if something else is at fault but like I said I don't even know where to start. :/

MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 570 SOC
CPU: i5-2500k
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
PSU: CORSAIR AX750 (750 watt)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion

witches_jelly

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I'll give this a try when I get home. If its in sleep mode though why would the integrated graphics be working perfectly then?

witches_jelly

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
So I just got home from work and fired up my computer to check this thread and the GPU came on. :??: I'm not really sure what to think about this or even where to start looking, even though its working I want to figure out what happened so I can prevent it from happening again. Any suggestions on what could have happened? My first thought was maybe it became unseated a little or something but that doesn't explain why it would start working after a few hours, it hasn't been touched since I last used it so there is no way it could have been shook back into place.

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

as othe person pointed out, the new z68 motherboards are new technology and havent been complety fixed by bios upgrade, theres many people experiencing the same problem, you will have to get used to shutting down the pc, instead of putting it to sleep mode or you will get that error.

Theres many Motherboards that come with the name (rev.3.0) thats because the same model they sold before, was defective, so they sell you the perfect one..... sad but true.
Have you ever wondered why you see the same model card from the same manufactured twice, and theres one more expensive??? well , same ***, they sell you the new model because the old one was defective.

my advice?, or you shutdown your pc everytime u finish using it, or get a p67 (rev3.0) mobo.

good luck

witches_jelly

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I actually rarely let it go into sleep mode, usually when I'm finished on my computer I shut it down, with the SSD it fires up pretty fast so no reason to leave it on. Only time it goes into sleep mode is on the rare occasion when I forget to turn it off. I extended the time till sleep to an hour so it should now almost never enter sleep mode unless I totally space. :p

I noticed the rev3.0 boards when I was researching parts for mine but they were all for the P67 boards, just looked on newegg and could find no rev 3.0 z68 boards aside from the gen 3 asrocks. I can't justify to myself spending the money on buying a new motherboard unless this one totally gives up the ghost or becomes somehow unusable. And as for the GPU I went with the most expensive version of my card I could find.

Check if the card is seated properly , had another forum member complain about his 5850 malfunctioning and solved the issue by just screwing the card on 2 slot....
:lol:

Wow... yeah I'm not stupid, my card is held in with both screws and they are tight, the card isn't going anywhere.

shogunlogun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
hey there, I happen to own that exact same card and have come across the same problems. I would shutt down the pc and come back later to turn it on only to have the graphics cards fans come on but no green lights on the card. I would then have to either take the card out and put it back in(sometimes that did not work) or reset the bios(take battery out for 15 to 30,minutes). So the solution that worked for myself involves having the most recent nvidia drivers and uninstalling the gigabyte overclock guru software. The OC guru software controls the overclock of the card but it seems unstable to me. I noticed when having guru installed, the cards clock speeds would go up/down and well...no way to really explain it but it did not seem right. SO! enough rambling....try uninstalling your drivers and OC guru, remember to do a clean re-install of the latest nvidia drivers and try out msi afterburner for overclocking/fan control. After a lot of hassle this soluton has worked the best for me and I hope it helps you out. I may be jinxing myslef but I bought the crd over a month ago and was xpierencing these problems for the first 2 weeks almost every other day. After doing what I explained above, its been smooth sailing ever since. good luck.

witches_jelly

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

I'll give this a shot. I don't currently have OC guru installed, haven't gotten around to it since I replaced the card but I'll do a clean install of the drivers and checkout that msi program.

IMO, the mobo is playing u, have u tried plugging the display onto ur onboard outputs when ur card has no light ?

Yes that ability is actually one of the reasons I decided to go with Z68 was to have that as back up which was a real lifesaver and went a long way towards figuring out that my first GPU had died since I could still get on the internet.

shogunlogun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Yeah mine started doing it again also :(. I contacted Gigabyte and I guess I just need to wait and see what happens. They need to fix this card cause I do not want to keep on going through the motions getting this card to run properly.

witches_jelly

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

When you hear back from them please share what happens in this thread, I've yet to contact them myself. Mine is working again atm, I tried running driver sweeper and reinstalling the graphics drivers, don't know if it will help any though.

shogunlogun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Well they emailed me back and it seems like I'm getting the run-around. I may just call them and speak directly to them I suppose. This is the email response they gave me:

Dear customer,

Please make sure your current power supply is 650W or greater to support the high performance N570SO-13I PCIE graphic card.
Z68XP-UD3Pboard has onboard graphic, to boot from add on PCIE card make sure Init display first set to PCIE X16 in bios under advance bios features and make sure card was inserted to first PCIE slot close to cpu.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

I basically told them the issues that I'm having(same as you). Card boots sometimes, fans run but lights are off, and that it's quite annoying to pay this much for a card to only have it not work 20 percent of the time. So I'll call them and keep you updated. Man this sucks. The only thing I can think of is the stock overclock with the card is crap...I may try and underclock my card back to stock and see how it runs. Keep you posted.

shogunlogun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Hey again, So I got all my info together and am RMAing the card to Gigabyte. Wasn't that hard to get it going. I could be without a card for about 3-4 weeks so that sucks. I'll post back when I get it.