Start Menu Editing

How do I edit my start menu in XP it is getting too large
and I want to organize it so I can have my programs
seperated like I used to with 95,98,ME ??
2 answers Last reply
More about start menu editing

    Dwayne McSloy wrote:
    > How do I edit my start menu in XP it is getting too large
    > and I want to organize it so I can have my programs
    > seperated like I used to with 95,98,ME ??

    Same as before. Right click the All Programs button and select Explore or
    Explore All Users. This will open Windows Explorer to that folder. Edit
    away. :)

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Dwayne--

    I'm going to paste a couple of recent suggestions given to me in hopes they
    help you. You may want to try the Classic Start menu if you aren't and see
    how you like it's setup. You also can organize your All Programs menu, and
    an excellent discussion of that is in Woody Leonhard's Time Saving Tips for
    XP found in most bookstores.

    Also, you can unpin a lot of programs from your start menu, and you don't
    need it to open them. You can just right click the taskbar>toolbars>address
    bar and put an address bar within the task bar that will function as a
    defacto run box and bring a number of programs up without any shortcut from
    the start menu or anywhere else. Here are a couple suggestions given to me
    the other day:

    This one from Wes Vogel:

    With the Classic Start Menu, both of these need to be UNChecked.
    XP Start Menu doesn't have ? Use Personalized Menus option.

    XP Start Menu >>
    Right click the Start button | Properties |
    Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
    Scroll down to and UNCheck:
    ? Scroll Programs * |
    OK | Apply | OK

    Classic Start Menu >>
    Right click the Start button | Properties |
    Start Menu tab | Customize button |
    Scroll down to and UNCheck both of these:
    ? Scroll Programs * |
    ? Use Personalized Menus **
    OK | Apply | OK

    [*Specifies whether to display the items on the Programs menu as one long
    scrolling menu or as horizontal pages. Depending on your screen resolution,
    if you have more than 29 or 38 programs installed, and you select to have
    one long scrolling menu, you can access the programs you don't see
    by clicking the arrow at each end of the list of programs.]

    [**Specifies whether to turn on Personalized Menus.
    Personalized Menus keeps the Programs menu clean by hiding items you haven't
    used recently, while still keeping other programs easily accessible. You
    can gain access to hidden programs by clicking the down arrow at the bottom
    of the Programs menu.]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    This one from Zulu:

    Another way is to reduce the number of primary folders in the list...
    For example, put all your graphics apps in one folder, all your games (or
    wharever) in another one, all your utilities (or whatever...) in another one
    etc. etc.

    --
    ¦ zulu ¦

    hth,

    Chad Harris

    "Dwayne McSloy" <mcsloy@rogers.com> wrote in message
    How do I edit my start menu in XP it is getting too large
    and I want to organize it so I can have my programs
    seperated like I used to with 95,98,ME ??

Configuration Start Menu Microsoft Customization Windows XP