Use recovery partition with new hardware?

Jberry86

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hey,

I got pretty much a new system after my hp mobo died on me. I'm now getting this bsod during the "starting windows" sequence. When run in safe mode, it seems to occur at atipcie64.Sys. The integrated graphics were ati, my new card is an nvidia. This was an hp computer. It's now got an Asus mobo, new psu also.

I thought maybe somethin was up with the hdd, so I reformatted using the recovery partition. It installed completely it said. Upon startup, same thing.. Bsod. So, I was wondering, is this packaged win7 from hp only meant to run on the original hardware? It doesn't have additional drivers or something? Am I sol on getting that version of win7 to work on this?

Jberry86

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Ok, thats what I was thinking. Is there a way to dig through the registry or something to find the key? I don't believe I had to enter a key, it was already installed when I pulled it out of the box.. I guess it could be in the paperwork? Kinda doubt it...

I have a boot cd that will let me get to a dos prompt, I believe that's as good as it gets as I can't get into windows to use regedit.