Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Issue with Eyefinity

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 24, 2011 5:51:07 PM

Hey guys,
I finally built myself a new machine. Components are as follows...

500w Power Supply (Forget the brand name)
PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 graphics card
AMD Phenom XII 1090T Processor 3.20GHz
8GB G.Skill DDR3 memory
Biostar A870 Motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate

Now, I'm running into an issue with this DVI to Displayport adapter I got from a friend. It worked fine on his computer, but it keeps causing my monitor to go to sleep. It works for half a second, then "No Signal" and it goes to sleep mode, then it comes back, then it goes off again.

I'm hoping one of you guys might know what the issue is because I'd really like to be gaming across all 3 of my monitors lol.

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

More about : issue eyefinity

a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 6:18:30 PM

Try it with just the single monitor and adapter to see what happens.
Score
September 24, 2011 6:36:19 PM

I did. Regardless of how many monitors I hook up (1,2, or 3) I always get the same issue.
Score
Related resources
September 24, 2011 6:47:46 PM

Is it a passive or active adapter?
Score
September 24, 2011 9:22:55 PM

It uses a USB port so I'm assuming it's active.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 10:17:23 PM

Is it an Accel (re-branded as Bizlink in some countries) adaptor? If so the adaptor is fine (providing no hardware problem with it obviously). What do you mean by "it goes to sleep mode, then it comes back, then it goes off again"? Is this just the monitor switching in and out of hibernation mode? Or is the third screen being recognised in CCC but switching in and out of display?

When you say regardless of how many monitors you connect you get the same issue, so even with 1 monitor connected only and via the adaptor you get no display? This would indicate the adaptor is faulty (regardless of whether it was active or passive it should work with only one monitor attached)
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 10:19:46 PM

I've had 3 adapters and 2 of them have had issues btw, all active. I don't know what is up with these adapters but I've been unimpressed.

Try it on your friends pc again if you can. It might have broken in transit or maybe it just has a compatibility issue with your screens (I assume they are all the same screen?)
Score
September 24, 2011 10:26:21 PM

When I tried plugging my main monitor (DVI hookup) into the adapter and plugging it into a displayport and a USB connection for power, it works fine as the machine is booting up. Once I get to the Windows 7 login screen, that's when the issues start. the monitor itself goes into sleep mode, just as if I'd left my computer on too long. Within a few seconds, it comes back on and shows me the login page still, but then my monitor immediately goes back into sleep mode. Funny thing is, if I plug other monitors into the regular DVI ports, they display fine. Only the one with the adapter has issues. The monitor itself is fine. I'm wondering if the adapter might not be getting enough power. My 3 monitors are different, if that matters. The main one is a 24" AOC brand while the other two are 19" 4:3 ratio LCDs I've had forever and they're Lextron brand.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 10:35:39 PM

Foxhound try this.

Go into CCC and lower your screen resolution to 1024x768 (or even lower) and see if it stops turning itself off. I had an issue with one of mine where it displayed fine up till a certain resolution then gave me issues.

The fact that you have 3 different monitors definitely points to a whacked adapter.
Score
September 24, 2011 11:03:58 PM

I dropped the resolution to 1024x768 and it worked fine. Just realized though that one of my monitors isn't recognized by my system when I plug all 3 in. I have no idea what to do now to get my 3 monitors up and running together.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 11:08:34 PM

Ok start from scratch again.

Remove your other 2 monitors and start with the centre one with the displayport adapter. Keep increasing the resolution until it starts to switch itself off. Restart your pc then add one monitor at a time.
Score
September 24, 2011 11:13:23 PM

I did. I can only get the main monitor up to 1024x768 before the issues start. Sometimes it flickers in and out, sometimes it stays black, etc. The machine will only see two of the monitors at once.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 11:20:38 PM

Ok so in {Vision} control centre, with all 3 plugged in...

in desktop management/creating and rearranging desktops you can only see 2 screens at the bottom where it says "please select a display"? Even at low resolution?
Score
September 24, 2011 11:23:18 PM

In AMD Vision Control Center, under Desktop Management, I only see 2 displays.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2011 11:27:46 PM

Your issue is different to what I had then. I could see 3 displays in CCC but the middle screen wasn't working unless at low resolution.

Did you try to lower resolution to the very lowest? If not, try at 640x480, just to see if the 3rd screen appears. I do think it looks like your adapter is whacked still, but try it out anyway if you haven't.
Score
September 25, 2011 12:33:09 AM

I'm wondering, if I pick up a second 6850 at some point, could my current power supply handle it? Also, would I be able to run the Eyefinity setup with both of those cards Crossfired? If I can remove this adapter from the equation all together that's be great.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 12:39:07 AM

You can't get by without the adapter unless you buy specific cards, which are generally more expensive because they include an in-built adapter...

You need to have either a displayport screen or use a displayport adapter with most of the cards. Having 2 cards doesn't change this, as only one card is the output card anyway.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 1:28:31 AM

Strange that you experience this at such a low resolution, you are correct in some senses in regards to resolution, however it is beyond 1920x1080 which problems occur and you then need a powered adaptor else you would experience what you outlined above.

Quote:
You can't get by without the adapter unless you buy specific cards, which are generally more expensive because they include an in-built adapter...

Where do you find these cards?

See some of my other posts on eyefinity related issues if you want to understand why you need the adaptor, I don't feel it necessary to explain it again here as your problem is not "do you really need one", your issue is quite peculiar. If you plug in two screens, one via the adaptor and one via DVI-I/D do you see both displays in CCC? As in is the issue only occuring when you add the 3rd display regardless of what configuration you had with 2?

Also, in response to your earlier question, no it does not matter that you have different screens, it does however mean that you will not be able to configure bezel control unless you flash the EDID's. Also if running at different resolution you can expect to have black bars (top and bottom) present depending on your setup.

It works on your friends set-up you said, was he/she running similar resolutions from a similar card to yourself?

Score
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 2:20:51 AM

Cool, didn't know they did these, certainly never seen them available in oz. Thanks for showing me that. Don't suppose they have similar support for 69xx cards yet?
Score
September 25, 2011 2:52:07 AM

The issue with the displayport adapter happens regardless of how many monitors I hook up whenever the displayport one is at anything higher than 1024x768. I thought I could get a small adapter to connect the two cards inside my machine in order to do eyefinity that way. I know my card has a port on the top that is currently covered by a special cover. Like the old Nvidia cards with that special SLI chip. If I can't use all three of these even with 2x cards, I'm gonna be pretty pissed.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 3:12:46 AM

You have one of the first-generation DisplayPort to DVI adapters. I have personally owned two of them. Those adapters always gave me trouble. They would put a monitor to sleep and cause "link failures" every three days or so forcing me to reboot. Then many months later I found out about the newer adapters that no longer require a USB port for power. They are still ACTIVE adapters but they have no additional power requirement. They come in DVI and VGA variants. I have used the sapphire ones both without issue. They are also only $27 at the egg. The first-gen ones were $120. If you are doing eyefinity DEFINITELY use the newer ones. Make sure you get the right size of DisplayPort for your card too (There is also mini-displayport).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
Score
September 25, 2011 3:34:15 AM

Ahhh I see. Thanks larkspur. I'll definitely give it a shot.
Score
September 25, 2011 4:24:56 AM

I would suspect a hdcp encryption handshaking issue. In looking up a ATI 6550, it has two DVI, HDMI, and the Display port. I would be using a HDMI to DVI adaptor on my main monitor, and then use a smaller HDMI cable between monitor and video card. Don't even bother with active or passive display port adapters. If you don't have the adapter, you can get cables with HDMI to DVI.
Score
September 25, 2011 4:30:38 AM

So I have 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x Displayport. Can I still use Eyefinity without using the Displayport? My AMD rep from my store says I can't.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 4:51:13 AM

Foxhound7 said:
So I have 2x DVI, 1x HDMI, and 1x Displayport. Can I still use Eyefinity without using the Displayport? My AMD rep from my store says I can't.

No, you can only use a maximum of 2 DVI/VGA/HDMI at once for standard eyefinity cards. I have not researched the "flex" cards discussed above so I can't say that applies to them. For three monitors on your card you must have at least one hooked to a DisplayPort.

I am about 95% sure that your problem is with that first-gen adapter. When I was having problems with them, I encountered a lot of posts with the exact same symptoms. Your symptoms match mine perfectly and the newer adapters completely solved my issue.
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 4:56:00 AM

shiitaki said:
I would suspect a hdcp encryption handshaking issue. In looking up a ATI 6550, it has two DVI, HDMI, and the Display port. I would be using a HDMI to DVI adaptor on my main monitor, and then use a smaller HDMI cable between monitor and video card. Don't even bother with active or passive display port adapters. If you don't have the adapter, you can get cables with HDMI to DVI.

If he wants eyefinity (3 monitors) on his card he'll have to use the DisplayPort. It's simply a design requirement.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 5:21:35 AM

The need for an active adaptor arises as a result of the graphics cards only inheriting two clocks. The DAC/Converter in the adaptor provides the third, necessary for the I/O interaction with the frame buffer for the third monitor. The only other option here is to use a monitor with a built-in DP DAC, or the use of one of the cards mentioned above which incorporates the extra clock (thanks Eyefinity for bringing these to light).

Whilst it may be the result of an older adaptor, I do know many people who have had to try several before they found one that worked, it generally has nothing to do with it being powered or 'new' or not. The need for a powered adaptor arises when you want resolutions greater than 1920x1080. The reason these are more widely used is because people have had success with them, and contributed to by misinformed posts stating that only powered adaptors were active adaptors.

A HDMI to DVI cable will not work due to the clock issue above, no passive connection will suffice. And given that the OP can get the monitors to work with the PC (when three are not connected) it cannot be a HDCP encryption problem (if it was no image would be displayed as the keys would not be transmitted correctly and thus 'handshaking' would fail).

There is a list of eyefinity validated adaptors on their website (this is why I asked the make, to cross-check here as a first step). It appears your adaptor is not performing correctly, but the fact it worked on your friends suggests it was worth further troubleshooting.

Quick solution then (you seem to be at your wits end of troubleshooting), get a new validated controller and see what happens.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2011 5:45:28 AM

Ninja Pants said:
Whilst it may be the result of an older adaptor, I do know many people who have had to try several before they found one that worked, it generally has nothing to do with it being powered or 'new' or not. The need for a powered adaptor arises when you want resolutions greater than 1920x1080. The reason these are more widely used is because people have had success with them, and contributed to by misinformed posts stating that only powered adaptors were active adaptors.

I have used eyefinity since shortly after if was released with the 5000 and 6000 series both single-card and crossfire. When the 5xxx radeons were first released it was advertised by ATI/AMD that 3+ monitors would require active displayport adapters. Their website's list of approved adapters active adapters only had powered adapters (requiring a USB port for power) regardless of single-link or dual-link DVI or VGA or HDMI. The first generation of active DP adapters were all USB powered. To be frank, they were rushed-to-market, there was an annoying shortage and believe me, it was hard to find them for about a month. Newegg had them, then didn't, then finally got them again.

Along the way somewhere, someone had developed a DP conversion path that could be done purely using silicon and voila a chip was born. I think it was about 6 months after the first-gen adapters came out that the "new" ones that I am referring to became available. The symptoms the OP describes are exactly the symptoms of an unreliable first-gen adapter. Hey, I have little doubt that some people had great experiences with the older ones, but there definitely is a design difference between the old USB ones and the new.
Score
July 11, 2012 4:28:38 AM

Best answer selected by foxhound7.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 11, 2012 6:22:06 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!