Will AMD Bulldozer Work in an Abit MOBO?

guerrilla123

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Hi,

I am unfortunate enough to have purchased a Abit motherboard some time ago.

The reason I am "unfortunate" is that they have subsequently gone out of business/ stopped making motherboards and I want to upgrade to a better processor.

I have a KN9 mobo that supports socket AM2 processors.

My understanding is that an AM2 mobo can take newer AM3 processors if you just update the bios.

Here is where I am finiding things a little tricky.

On the abit website there is a supported CPU list that was last updated in 2008 that says they support up to "AMD® Athlon64 FX".

I currently have an Athlon X2 4000+ and would really like to upgrade do a decent 4 core bulldozer without having to replace my mobo and ram (ddr2).

I have googled this a lot but cannot find anyone else in the same situation.

Can anyone give me any guidance on the best processor I can upgrade to?

Many thanks

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
You need to give some more detailed information, such as the exact model of your motherboard. However, there is next to no chance that you'll be able to put a Bulldozer CPU in an AM2 motherboard from 2008. You'd need a newer AM3+ motherboard for Bulldozer. If you can provide the specific motherboard model, I'm sure someone here can tell you the best AMD processor it can take.

guerrilla123

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Senshu - I mentioned the model number in OP. It is a "KN9". There are other KN9 mobo with other letters after the KN9 but this one is just a KN9. No additional numbers or letters.

Scout_03 - Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a mobo that support DDR2 & AM3 CPUs?

I feel your pain I have an Abit IP35 Pro for my Q9450 which I built back in 2008. Hopefully it'll last for a while cause next year when I upgrade I'm gonna stick it into my HTPC case.