Sign in with
Your question

Will AMD Bulldozer Work in an Abit MOBO?

Last response: in CPUs
February 22, 2012 2:56:33 AM

Hi,

I am unfortunate enough to have purchased a Abit motherboard some time ago.

The reason I am "unfortunate" is that they have subsequently gone out of business/ stopped making motherboards and I want to upgrade to a better processor.

I have a KN9 mobo that supports socket AM2 processors.

My understanding is that an AM2 mobo can take newer AM3 processors if you just update the bios.

Here is where I am finiding things a little tricky.

On the abit website there is a supported CPU list that was last updated in 2008 that says they support up to "AMD® Athlon64 FX".

I currently have an Athlon X2 4000+ and would really like to upgrade do a decent 4 core bulldozer without having to replace my mobo and ram (ddr2).

I have googled this a lot but cannot find anyone else in the same situation.

Can anyone give me any guidance on the best processor I can upgrade to?

Many thanks
February 22, 2012 3:16:33 AM

You need to give some more detailed information, such as the exact model of your motherboard. However, there is next to no chance that you'll be able to put a Bulldozer CPU in an AM2 motherboard from 2008. You'd need a newer AM3+ motherboard for Bulldozer. If you can provide the specific motherboard model, I'm sure someone here can tell you the best AMD processor it can take.
a c 92 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 3:27:22 AM

it will only support am2 socket was not upgrade to am3 and newer socket
Related resources
February 22, 2012 3:37:54 AM

Senshu - I mentioned the model number in OP. It is a "KN9". There are other KN9 mobo with other letters after the KN9 but this one is just a KN9. No additional numbers or letters.

Scout_03 - Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a mobo that support DDR2 & AM3 CPUs?
a c 480 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2012 4:54:37 AM

guerrilla123 said:
Hi,

I am unfortunate enough to have purchased a Abit motherboard some time ago.

The reason I am "unfortunate" is that they have subsequently gone out of business/ stopped making motherboards and I want to upgrade to a better processor.

I feel your pain I have an Abit IP35 Pro for my Q9450 which I built back in 2008. Hopefully it'll last for a while cause next year when I upgrade I'm gonna stick it into my HTPC case.
!