Sign in with
Your question

Rosewill Thor V2 Case

Last response: in Components
February 22, 2012 3:33:38 AM

My new system is recently up and running and I decided to go with the Rosewill Thor V2 case and I simply LOVE it

I havent seen to much info out there on this case nor a lot of people pointing at it as a major contender

I choose it for the XL-ATX Mobo support and just wanted to start a thread so anyone looking for info on this case can have at least one owner to turn to for questions.

Any thoughts neg or pos on this case from any other owners would be much appreciated as well

More about : rosewill thor case

a c 111 ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 4:31:23 AM

Would you recommend this for water cooling? Also how loud is it? And what are the temps of your 560ti's?
February 22, 2012 11:10:08 AM

I would say water cooling on this guy would be quite easy and feasible. You get some incredible space to work with inside as the case is just gigantic, you have 4 grommets on the back to run your external water cooler through.

I have not looked to hard in to how much it would take to mod this case (ex. replacing the top 240mm fan with a 3 fan water cooling radiator) but I can take a few minutes this evening to look at that sepcifically.

The system overall is super quite. And thats simply from the stock fan setup....top, side panel, and front HD bay are all 230mm fans, which move a crap ton of air without being super loud. The back 140mm is a little louder but not much.

At idle my 560tis are running at 29/27 C...Ill have to wait till tonight to post loaded temps
Related resources
February 22, 2012 1:39:58 PM

A review! Finally! I am torn between 4 cases. Looking for best overall air cooling. It's between the CM Trooper, HAF X, Silverstone FT02, an Thor V2. I am probably gonna buy the Trooper and add the 4 extra 120mm fans to the system so it hopefully becomes the air cooling champion. But if it weren't for the optional cooling of the Trooper, I had the Thor V2 White Edition in my sights. Such a nice case!!
February 22, 2012 3:36:53 PM

I can certainly take a look into the Trooper and FT02 a little more and give some feedback if you would like

One word of caution going towards air cooling though..

More fans does not mean better cooling, nor does faster fans necessarily mean better cooling

There is a point at which you can have to much volume and/or to much flow rate with air, air is not incredibly good at absorbing heat and if you pass it over components to quickly, you actually lose cooling potential.

but like i said, ill look at those other towers a bit and see if i can give a reasonable comparrison to Thor

p.s. I have the black edition Thor and it looks tremendous with the lighting. if you want some pics of the rig send me a private message
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 8:03:35 PM

Could you not post some pictures on here of your Thor i would be really interested to see them.
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2012 8:03:50 PM

looks like a very good case

though with the price drop of the coolermaster storm trooper for their 20th anniversary and the new side panels

for it coming out as well my next case is definately storm trooper

wheres the photos of your build? :D 
February 23, 2012 12:32:44 AM

PM sent, RHIT.
February 23, 2012 1:46:57 AM

Ran out of time again to get pics up but i romise to get you all some photos uploaded of Thor here in the next few days. (i work 12 hours a day so dont get much time in the evenings :-P)
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 2:16:13 AM

ChrisUlrich said:
A review! Finally! I am torn between 4 cases. Looking for best overall air cooling. It's between the CM Trooper, HAF X, Silverstone FT02, an Thor V2. I am probably gonna buy the Trooper and add the 4 extra 120mm fans to the system so it hopefully becomes the air cooling champion. But if it weren't for the optional cooling of the Trooper, I had the Thor V2 White Edition in my sights. Such a nice case!!

the ft02 stock is the second best air cooled case on the market second only to the 600$ silverstone temjin tj11- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/04/08/silve...
definitely one of the best cases on the market.
February 23, 2012 2:35:53 AM

mjmjpfaff said:
the ft02 stock is the second best air cooled case on the market second only to the 600$ silverstone temjin tj11- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/04/08/silve...
definitely one of the best cases on the market.

Thank you for this post...this website is stellar for hardware info!!!!
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 2:36:40 AM

absolutely. they are very detailed on cooling capabilities.
February 23, 2012 3:47:49 AM

What about the Trooper with the extra (aftermarket) fans, mjmjpfaff? How do you think it would rate compared to the Thor v2 and ft02?

I think that the reviews always go with stock options.
February 23, 2012 2:45:05 PM

This is what I don't understand. How can results vary so much. How does the FT02 beat the HAF X so bad in CPU cooling? In many other comparisons, they are almost identical. The Thor V2 isn't even on that lst! The Antec 1200 is ranked 5th? That also is barely on any other list. The CM Trooper which is on many many lists is also, not on there at all.
a b ) Power supply
February 23, 2012 11:33:00 PM

vollman1 said:
What about the Trooper with the extra (aftermarket) fans, mjmjpfaff? How do you think it would rate compared to the Thor v2 and ft02?

I think that the reviews always go with stock options.

i really dont know. the reason why the ft02 has such good cooling is silverstones air penetrator fans here is a video of why they are so good- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m8fC809TK0

as you can see the fan channels the air very well. the rosewill cases are more if you are on a budget. the build quality is just not as good as silverstone. cooler master i think is just a notch below silverstone in terms of build quality; corsair the newer antec cases and lian li are on par with silverstone. in cooler masters budget cases they do not include fan filters. my friends haf 932 sucks in way too much dust with that 200mm side fan not having a filter which is atrocious for being a higher end case. the storm trooper has many fan filters which is a plus for a cooler master case. you also have to figure in what you want to look at everyday. for me i like a very simple case no really bright led's so that im not blinded by them at night so for me the ft02 is a home run. if you are more on a budget the rv03 is a very good case with very good cooling for how quiet it is (because of the air penetrator fans- http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Extended-90-Degree-Mo...

Quote:
This is what I don't understand. How can results vary so much. How does the FT02 beat the HAF X so bad in CPU cooling? In many other comparisons, they are almost identical. The Thor V2 isn't even on that lst! The Antec 1200 is ranked 5th? That also is barely on any other list. The CM Trooper which is on many many lists is also, not on there at all.

storm trooper review on that site, not too good on cooling- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/11/18/cm-st...

Quote:
There is a point at which you can have to much volume and/or to much flow rate with air, air is not incredibly good at absorbing heat and if you pass it over components to quickly, you actually lose cooling potential.

correct. in all cases you want positive pressure so you are not sucking back in warm air. all of the new silverstone cases have positive pressure after they researched it themselves (the 90 degree cooling helps with that). so adding lots of fans may mess up the pressure in the case causing worse airflow and higher temps.
February 23, 2012 11:58:51 PM

So you are saying that without a doubt the Silverstone FT02 is the best case (out of the cases mentioned) for air cooling?

mjmjpfaff said:
i really dont know. the reason why the ft02 has such good cooling is silverstones air penetrator fans here is a video of why they are so good- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m8fC809TK0

as you can see the fan channels the air very well. the rosewill cases are more if you are on a budget. the build quality is just not as good as silverstone. cooler master i think is just a notch below silverstone in terms of build quality; corsair the newer antec cases and lian li are on par with silverstone. in cooler masters budget cases they do not include fan filters. my friends haf 932 sucks in way too much dust with that 200mm side fan not having a filter which is atrocious for being a higher end case. the storm trooper has many fan filters which is a plus for a cooler master case. you also have to figure in what you want to look at everyday. for me i like a very simple case no really bright led's so that im not blinded by them at night so for me the ft02 is a home run. if you are more on a budget the rv03 is a very good case with very good cooling for how quiet it is (because of the air penetrator fans- http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Extended-90-Degree-Mo...

Quote:

storm trooper review on that site, not too good on cooling- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2011/11/18/cm-st...

Quote:

correct. in all cases you want positive pressure so you are not sucking back in warm air. all of the new silverstone cases have positive pressure after they researched it themselves (the 90 degree cooling helps with that). so adding lots of fans may mess up the pressure in the case causing worse airflow and higher temps.

February 24, 2012 12:34:30 AM

Those reviews are not including the extra side fans that the Trooper can use.

I still think that just adding one or two side fans would push the Trooper over the top of the list.
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 1:23:23 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that without a doubt the Silverstone FT02 is the best case (out of the cases mentioned) for air cooling?

no the 600$ silverstone temjin tj11 is but it is way out of most people's budgets. so the ft02 is the best air cooled case that is reasonably priced.
Quote:
I still think that just adding one or two side fans would push the Trooper over the top of the list.

Sure do that if you want to spend hours cleaning out all that dust because of the lack of filters. adding a few fans would push a lot of cases at the top of the list.
February 24, 2012 1:30:03 AM

mjmjpfaff said:
Quote:

Sure do that if you want to spend hours cleaning out all that dust because of the lack of filters. adding a few fans would push a lot of cases at the top of the list.

I am just wondering which would be the top upgraded case? You know, optimized to full potential?
a b ) Power supply
February 24, 2012 2:18:49 AM

vollman1 said:
I am just wondering which would be the top upgraded case? You know, optimized to full potential?

well because the trooper is larger and has space for more fans it can be upgraded more though i cannot say that in its full potential it will be that much better than the ft02. but i mean it sounds like you really want it and if you like the look of it over the ft02 that can be a determining factor in itself.
!